Sea lion drags fisherman from boat and drags him to the bottom of the bay

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Seal’s in the water. Our seal.

2 Likes

via your link…
Perhaps the fisherman was wearing a tuxedo:
Seals Caught Having Sex With Penguins | IFLScience

I’ve run into them sea kayaking before. Believe me, you don’t want a bull sea lion to decide that you’re too close to his wimmin.

You definitely don’t want to mess with any pinniped that has acquired a taste for mammal blood.

7 Likes

I was just thinking the guy got off light - sometimes they just won’t let go until they win an argument.

You do not want to be lapped by a sea lion.

Two things.

Frist.

Second.
I have never seen that sea lion gif before. Thank you @funruly!!

1 Like

Something my cats have taught me; until that food is in your mouth it belongs to everyone and you had better guard it with your life.

(The sea lion was after the fish.)

2 Likes

Not sure about these sea lions, but the Stellar sea lions in Alaska are remarkably more like bears than big cats. The skulls look very similar.

Something my cats have taught me; food in your mouth is fair fricken game.

3 Likes

The phylogeny agreesthat bears and pinnipeds are closer to one another (within an ‘Arctoidea’ branch of the Carnivora) than they are to the Felidae.

2 Likes

like the vapors? (not the horrible '80’s band)

1 Like

1 Like

My cat weighs 7 pounds, but darnit she can jump off the table and sprint away with a (already picked clean by my standards) chicken drumstick in her mouth.

Sea lion? Are we sure it wasn’t a loose seal?

3 Likes

Hey Mark.
Beef is less with your post in particular and more with the continued casual misuse of the term shock (as in the LA Times article OtherMichael linked to).

My issue is less with the use of the term by someone playing a Dr on TV or your cousin from Altoona, and more so by professional journalists and even public relations folks for hospitals and fire/EMS organizations who throw it around just to spice things up, it seems. It is in almost all cases used incorrectly (including the synonymous use to emotional “shock”). More to the point, the term is just not really ever relevant to the reporting of one’s condition outside of medical context. Terms like “stable” or “critical”, while imperfect do a better job. Shock is basically the end game of a body’s ability to compensate for an insult or injury. It can be due to a lack of blood volume secondary to trauma/bleeding, or compromised ability to maintain vasculature pressure for a variety of reasons. Within medical context it’s kind of like saying a patient is acutely dying, but is often qualified from “Hmm? He looks a little shocky” to “circling the drain”. Out of that context it communicates nothing really and has no value in news articles. Journalistically it’s the equivalent of your buddy who just got his first bike working the word “carbon” into every other sentence.

I should probably just keep the things that annoy me to myself (trust me, there are a lot) but the continued misuse of the term is bad stuff to spread around to the lay public. In 20 or so years as a Paramedic who moonlights in an ER, I probably don’t go a week without explaining to someone that they or their loved one is not in shock, and yes, I’m quite sure and I know, they say on TV a lot don’t they?.

Anyway, sorry if I came off all head explodey

Thanks for listening

Live to Boing, Boing to Live.

3 Likes

And now you have me curious as to why “carbon” is so associated with bikes.

1 Like

Carbon fibre frame?
Low carbon footprint?
Puffing and panting?

1 Like

[penguin] It’s JUST ICE CREAM. [/penguin]

2 Likes

I don’t think you came off as all head explodey, more like cynical and grandstandy.

2 Likes