Watch this person's funny reaction as sea lion jumps on her boat to escape circling orcas

Originally published at: Watch this person's funny reaction as sea lion jumps on her boat to escape circling orcas | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but can we see some evidence that this is actually a sea lion?

40 Likes

I am trying to eat breakfast.

23 Likes

Jesus, chill out, lady. Let the sea lion hang for a while until the orcas clear out. I don’t understand the problem.

41 Likes

Perfect. :laughing:

12 Likes

I read in another article that this lady lives on Vancouver Island. The most surreal thing to me is that the boat doesn’t appear to be some sort of casual pleasure craft. It looks more like a utility boat that would belong to someone who knows what they’re doing. The way this lady acts, you’d think it was her first day out on the water… and she’s by herself? Aren’t orcas and sea lions kind of like a normal thing around Vancouver Island? :man_shrugging:

23 Likes

I see what you did there.

5 Likes

Sorry Orcas, no cream of sea lion soup today.

10 Likes

She’s stressed because if the orca decides to lunge out of the water to grab the seal, there’s a good chance the boat is going to sink sideways, or she’ll get catapulted out, or both. Orcas have been known to lunge like that onto beaches, and they can jump very far out of the water.

She says at one point “I can’t go”; I was wondering why she couldn’t. But there are lots of possible reasons on a boat: diver below, or waiting for slack tide and currents the boat can handle, etc etc.

20 Likes

Fine. We will resume in one hour.

18 Likes

Well, it does flat out refuse to leave

18 Likes

The sea lion on deck is very unusual. And either charming or fucking dangerous, depending how hungry the orcas are.

10 Likes

there are really strict rules about running your engines when whales are nearby. If you’ve ever been on a whale watching boat when the whales are close they have to cut their engines and keep them off while they’re close. They get to decide when the tour is done :slight_smile:

26 Likes

Dear Diary,
It is day three, and the Orcas are showing no sign of leaving. In fact, they appear to be working in shifts. I must say that, with no food left aboard, that sea-lion is starting to look quite tasty.

54 Likes

Maybe, but there have been numerous examples of sea lions and other critters jumping into boats for safety while being hunted by orcas, and I’ve never heard of a single instance of an orca following them onto the deck to get their meal. I get the feeling orcas know the difference between an ice floe/beach and a boat, and avoid messing with the latter.

11 Likes

David, you and I have very different ideas about what is a “funny reaction”

15 Likes

Indeed. :+1: More like stressful. If only because of all the shots of the camera person standing on the edge of the deck as the orcas sweep past below.

6 Likes

What’s her problem? Hang with the seal for a while.

14 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV

6 Likes

All hands lost?

20 Likes