Otter hauls self onto boat to escape hungry orca

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/07/otter-hauls-self-onto-boat-to.html

14 Likes

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat…”

41 Likes

He’s not wrong. Also, fisherman dude seems confident that the orca won’t try to bump the boat to knock the otter loose. I’d be inside that little cabin.

19 Likes

Now I’m imagining a crudely disguised orca puttering around in its own boat, waiting for its whale buddies to drive an unsuspecting otter snack into its waiting jaws. “Oh, hey there fellow fishermen. Aren’t those otters just the cutest? Can’t wait to “save” another one, arf arf arf!”

21 Likes

I miss The Far Side

18 Likes

Meh, orca schmorca.

It’s just an overgrown aquatic dog with fins.

An overgrown 5.5 tonne aquatic dog, with fins, and a 19,000 PSI bite.

Ok…

11 Likes

That first pic - nessie!

5 Likes

8 Likes
7 Likes

I was almost thinking this was a repeat post, but IIRC, the one from a few years ago was with an otter mom and her baby…

3 Likes

BBC London News last night showed several bits of video of seals climbing on to kayaks and rowers’ boats (not the pootling kind, the ‘boat race’/olympic kind). Can’t find footage but this is similar, also on the Thames.

Maybe they’re escaping something, too.

3 Likes

Yeah, clearly, he hasn’t seen Orcas do this:

Nah, I’d be on Amazon, buying a bigger boat.

12 Likes

If Don had any sense he’d shut up. He’s clearly almost scaring the little guy back into the water with his high pitched commentary.

10 Likes

I knew a guy, a boat captain, who went to South Africa to help film great whites. They were out one day near a seal colony shooting footage of the sharks when a terrified and injured seal jumped into the boat. The filmmaker - who had been in this situation before - screamed at Adrian, “throw it back, throw it back.” And reluctantly he did.

7 Likes

What a cute looking snack.

2 Likes

How can this be from a few weeks ago when I remember it from a few years ago?

Time is messing with us.

2 Likes

ok, this is what i remember:

2 Likes

I had the same deja-vu.

1 Like

I think I would have been more afraid than this guy, That’s a very smart animal with the size and inclinations of a t-rex swimming around his tiny boat.

3 Likes

Orca are endangered and otters aren’t…