The bad news: orcas are teaching their young to ram boats. The good news: it's just a game

Originally published at: The bad news: orcas are teaching their young to ram boats. The good news: it's just a game | Boing Boing

2 Likes

It’s all fun and games until somebody loses a yacht…

14 Likes

Yeah, Orcas like to play, and their favoite game is “listen to those puny bipeds panic when I whack their rudder”.

I like the cut of their jibs,

10 Likes

And they play HARD!

2 Likes

Cat Animals Being Jerks GIF
/S

4 Likes

Having mastered shooting movies underwater, James Cameron was experimenting with SHOWING his latest movie underwater. The orcas really liked the part where the space whale kicks ass.

2 Likes

those playful devils!

orca clicks and whistles recorded in incident decoded:
“quit crying, puny human! it’ll buff out!”

5 Likes

Go Team Orca!

1 Like

Periodic reminder that despite these boats being called “yachts”, these aren’t rich people being targeted (at least not exclusively). Many of them are just passionate sailors and some live on their boats, with no other worldly belongings than what the boat holds. Some are also delivery crew, i.e. workers moving an owner’s boat to a different place in their absence.

4 Likes

Much this.
I follow a channel or two on the youtubes, where some people have basically put their whole life and life-savings into living on the water.
These are not wealthy people by any stretch of the imagination - most of the channels are dedicated to tips on how to save money and to live as cheaply as possible.
This is also one day my dream, no idea if I’ll manage to pull it off.
Team Orca is one thing - I have nothing against the gorgeous creatures, but hopefully it’s just a phase.
I hate to think what would happen if humans decided this was suddenly a “problem”.

I mean, it is a problem, but not surely yet an Orca-killing problem.

6 Likes

The fact that these creatures haven’t been “dealt with” a long time ago (either by a state or illegally) also tells you it’s not the people on superyachts that are affected.

9 Likes

Valid, bloody good point.

8 Likes

Animals: Some of them are just jerks.

4 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (3)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.