Seabird-tracking staffer sought for intense 15-month commitment on remote island

Originally published at: Seabird-tracking staffer sought for intense 15-month commitment on remote island | Boing Boing

2 Likes

This is it! This is that meme that asks “Would you live here with no internet for a year for $1million dollars?”

Only it’s only ~$26,000 Euros… Though I guess if you don’t have to pay for room and board, just storage of your stuff back home, I guess it could be quite lucrative when you leave, just not a million dollars lucrative.

I hope the people there get along. My dad was in a remote part of Alaska working for the Wildlife Dept, It could only be resupplied via boat plane that would land on the river. So he wintered with a guy who I guess was insufferable, because as soon as the river thawed he radioed his boss and said “Either you get this guy out of here, or come get me because I quit.” They came and got the guy with the next supply drop.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Pass.

7 Likes

The island, home to seven full-time employees and eight million birds, is 1,500 miles from the African mainland and can only be reached via a seven-day boat ride from South Africa.

Well technically it can be reached via a boat ride from just about anywhere that you can put a boat into an ocean-connected waterway.

This moment of pedantry brought to you today by my extreme boredom.

2 Likes

So one would think. But if all the sailors tell you to follow this one exact path, and be sure to steer well clear of the mists and voices lest ye end up like poor ol’ Malan’s boy, are you really going to ignore them?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.