Sean Penn as nutty a presidential candidate as Trump?

Thank you.

I think.

14 Likes

Not trying to damn you guys with faint praise. Itā€™s just that I almost find the competence issue more important than policy. But on second thought, maybe it goes deeper than that. Itā€™s also a certain level of trust that I donā€™t have in Trump. I think that part of competence as a president is the desire to represent and serve the interests of all Americans. I think that despite my political differences with say, @Mister44, I think I could trust him to at least try to do the best he could for everyone involved. With Trump, thereā€™s a genuine and well-founded sense that he just plain does not give a shit about large swathes of the country. Though heā€™s mercurial, and so what those swathes are tend to change rapidly.

6 Likes

@Donald_Petersen 2020!

He managed Fuller House, now itā€™s time for him to manage the country!

16 Likes

You bastards are never gonna let me live that down, are you?

17 Likes

Isnā€™t this what Ross Douthat was talking about (I guess this inspired the Slate article?)

I think thatā€™s the point. Democrats (and other lefties) are suggesting that sane Republicans should vote for Clinton, because Trump is unthinkable, but the counter argument is that if the boot were on the other foot, youā€™d still pick the left wing choice over this putative sensible GOP nominee.

Edit: I was looking for the Douthat article earlier, and found this response to it, from a right wing POV.

In the spirit of Ross Douthatā€™s thought experiment, letā€™s consider that the hypothetical candidate Santorum promised to nominate judges that would overturn Roe, overturn Obergefell, strengthen corporate interests, give Christian businesses the right to turn away gay customers, and basically reject all that you most value. What if you were confident that President Santorum would likely be able to replace the late Antonin Scalia, the aged and ailing Ginsburg, the aged Breyer, and the aged Kennedy, with younger justices from the cream of the Federalist Society, creating a 7-2 conservative majority that would last a generation. Would you still be able to vote for Santorum because he wasnā€™t Al Sharpton?

(doesnā€™t really work again, because if I was choosing between Santorum and Sharpton, of course Iā€™d vote for Sharpton).

4 Likes

I already told people here I am not voting for Trump. Unless I pull a Carlin and just stay home and play with myself all day, I will be voting 3rd party.

People who vote 2nd Amendment first will be voting Trump. Some of them are that dumb, some of them know he is horrible, but are worried mainly about Supreme Court nominations. And Trump isnā€™t even that 2nd Amendment friendly. But what ever.

I have seen some support for Johnson both in 2nd amendment circles, moderates, and right leaning people. Who knows how much steam he can get.

I see the cognitive bias machine at Full Steam Ahead for both sides already on face book.

It is a shit show and I have never been more discouraged. Like I said, who ever loses has no one to blame but their party.

I feel like Vizzini. I can clearly not choose the glass in front of me, and I can clearly not choose the glass in front of you. So I am going to go have a Mt. Dew.

Night.

15 Likes

Yep. 'Cause I havenā€™t seen a ā€œsensible GOP nomineeā€ in waaaay too long.

That was fun to read Douthatā€™s article. I wish HRC were really going to end up as leftist as he paints her there. 'Cause those poor, troubled conservative voters would just have to choke it down the way the left has for too long.

But no. Sheā€™ll be too centrist for that. Squawk though they will, the right will get more of what it demands, but will never acknowledge that.

6 Likes

Iā€™m having a Mt Dew right now. I hoist it in your honor this evening.

4 Likes

Only because we like you.

6 Likes

It gives you an idea what youā€™d be feeling. If I was a die hard X and I saw ā€œa trumpā€ hijack the nomination, weā€™ll Iā€™d be upset and it would be REEEALLLLY difficult to vote for the other side. Itā€™s a tough call when if you think the other side is pure evil and against everything you believe.

2 Likes

Look, Ma! Iā€™m trending! Iā€™m trending!

(Thatā€™s a bit of an inside joke at work.)

3 Likes

On paper, my heart goes out to 'em. But in meatspace, in real life, itā€™s hard to feel any sympathy. The GOP has become what it is now in relative slow motion, getting worse year by year for most of my lifetime. Itā€™s not like the love for Trump arose in a vacuum. The GOP (in particular its Tea Party wing) has been embracing a fearful, racist, every-man-for-himself mindset for years and years now, and those chickens have come home to roost. ā€œSensibleā€ conservatives are badly outnumbered now.

They really did do this to themselves.

12 Likes

Yep.

Ironically it is the Rs that should have rigged the primaries, and the Ds which shouldnā€™t have.

8 Likes

Iā€™m struggling to think of a left wing analogue to Trump; the best I can come up with is Che Guevera.

5 Likes

While I am not a fan of Che, I would vote for him just to be on the right side of history, electing the first Zombie president. And his campaign slogan of ā€œBraaainnnssssā€ could be seen as a pro-science stance.

5 Likes

Yes, but @japhroaig or @OtherMichael for court jester?

4 Likes

Is the jester allowed to excoriate the court for not following Robertā€™s Rules of Order?

3 Likes

Well said. And I agree.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œDonald_Petersen, post:1, topic:82536ā€]
Stevenson posits Rick Santorumā€¦[/quote]
Most of what I know about Santorum is gleaned from pro-LGBT news sites so take this with a chunk of salt: my impression is heā€™s a one or possibly two-issue figure largely disliked by his own party. Even though marriage equality and LGBT rights make a lot of ā€œconservativesā€ unhappy it seems to be an issue most of them want to avoid because they canā€™t afford to keep alienating people, but the anti-gay gospel has become Santorumā€™s bread and butter. His emphasis on it may be why he barely even placed in the primaries. He appeals to a shrinking number even in his own party.

Stevenson could just as easily have substituted Ben Carsonā€“a candidate who, being African American, could put people on both sides in a pickle. There are plenty of Republicans who wouldnā€™t vote for him purely because of his skin and some Democrats might feel uneasy voting against him for fear of being seen as racist.

Depends. Which one knows the chalice with the palace has the pellet with the poison while the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true?

3 Likes

Iā€™d definitely take Kanye over Cruz. I would take Trump over Cruz. Well, except that I now Trump is going to let Mike Pence make all the decisions, and I would take Cruz over Pence, I think. Iā€™d also support Kanye over Clinton.

If someone wants to say this is hypocrisy, they donā€™t understand what is going on. Do you know why I would support Kanye or Penn over Cruz? Because Cruz is a racist, misogynist, theocrat. To me, the most important issue in US politics today is discrimination. People say Trump is erratic, they say heā€™s unfit, inexperienced, whatever. Trump is racist and misogynist. It would take a huge amount of other crap for me to not support less racist candidate.

The whole premise of this article is that Trumpā€™s racism isnā€™t really that big a deal. If someone wants to say, ā€œLook, instability and unpredictability arenā€™t actually game breakers, right?ā€ then I would say, ā€œYeah, but if weā€™re being serious, racism is. Isnā€™t it for you?ā€

Yeah, no kidding. If the democrats were running pretty much anyone else it would be an easy win. I donā€™t have the sources study but itā€™s like 52% of Trump Supporters are voting Trump just so that Clinton doesnā€™t get elected and 56% of Clinton supporters are voting Clinton just so that Trump doesnā€™t get elected? If you even reduced the level of hate directed at the Democrat a little bit it would mean a runaway victory.