Sean Spicer threatens reporter who emailed a question

How did a conversation about Spicer threatening a reporter end up invoking imagery of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

Not that I’m knocking your points, I’m just saying its a wee bit off topic.

1 Like

Watergate became an issue in large part because it became impossible for Nixon’s men to keep their stories straight. Once the stories about who was in what meetings and who authorized which payments started to diverge, guys like James McCord and John Dean started to cut deals to minimize their legal exposure on perjury and obsteuction of justice charges. Much of those facts were uncovered due to notes from people like HR Haldeman before the Nixon tapes were public.

Spicer’s notes create a contemporary account of who said and did what during the campaign and in the White House. They give Mueller big clues in what other documents to demand from other implicated people. They create a lot of pressure on Priebus, Flynn, Manafort, Conaway, and the rest to get their stories straight. They are potentially a big deal, in part because nobody but Spicer and (probably) Mueller know what is in them, and Spicer can go to jail if he tells anyone but his lawyer what they say.

Noted, head pulled in. At least it’s not a jlw thread, so hopefully I’ll escape unscathed.

1 Like

No earth scorched here.

:wink:

1 Like

I’ve definitely noticed an emergence of “thug” as a euphemism for “urban black male”. (Gee, who’s being politically correct now?)

Well, as the linked article points out it is a little odd to write in that way to someone you have apparently known for 10 years or so. Especially from a press spokesman - to a journalist asking journalisty questions.

You might expect someone in that position to start with something more like: “Hi Mike, I’m sure you won’t be surprised that I’m not going to answer your questions on this and I’d appreciate it if you didn’t contact me with such questions again”.

Then move on to the threats of legal action.

I’d be interested to know whether Spicer is answering/in contact with other journalists and if so who they are and what their reporting is like.

If he’s cutting off those who write ‘not nice’ things about him but still talking to those who say the right things, then that’s interesting and newsworthy.

If he’s cutting off all contact with the press or just those who are genuinely being obnoxious, less so.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.