Search team hears 'banging' sounds where the missing submersible disappeared

There are plenty of things you could have on the outside to make finding the craft easier in case of emergencies. Have beacons on by default. Also useful to possibly track as they go. With these depths you need belt, suspenders and suspenders for those suspenders and probably a few extra belts for good measure.

But now we are likely down 5 billionaires… I guess that is a start.

1 Like

Banging from down below. Terrifyingly reminds me of a particular Twilight Zone OS episode

2 Likes

As one reporter said, a white object among an ocean of whitecaps. They should have painted it optic yellow or orange or something as wild as that.

3 Likes

Radio frequency transmission doesn’t work well through water. Just a few meters of depth blocks just about any radio signals.

There is one kind of radio signal that can reach submerged vessels, and those are called ELF - Extremely Low Frequencies. The US Navy built an ELF transmitter in Wisconsin during the Cold War. The two antennas were laid out in an X shape, each antenna was about 14 miles long, and a several megawatt transmitter was located at the intersection. The wavelengths are so long it could only transmit a carrier wave that was on or off, and couldn’t really be “pulsed” to send a large stream of data (just a few bits per minute). When the nuclear subs on patrol got the signal, they only knew to rise to the surface where they’d receive a regular radio transmission with further instructions. .

It was a one-way signal. Submarines are subject to the same laws of physics, and not even a nuclear submarine could house an antenna long enough to transmit on ELF frequencies.

It had only one real use: to order a nuclear strike. Fortunately they were decommissioned about 20 years ago

4 Likes

All for five completely preventable deaths caused by spontaneous implosion and also hubris

3 Likes

More than that, it’s the actual format you’re supposed to use when lost in a submersible. It’s an international code of sorts. One of the passengers is said to be an experienced diver who would know this.

One of many fascinating things I’ve learned throughout this crazy story.

13 Likes

That knocking sound, well, might be lawyers…

According to the lawsuit, the Hagles wanted to visit the wreckage of the Titanic onboard an OceanGate craft in 2018 and invested upwards of $200,000 to participate in the expedition.

But the trip was delayed, and in the end, they never actually took the voyage.

…the lawsuit, which shows the Hagles claim Rush knowingly strung them along even though he knew the vessel was not ready to take the trip, and wouldn’t give them a refund.

3 Likes

This honestly seems the most likely to me. As others have said, it apparently had a lot of redundant ballast release systems, including passive and automated ones, so it’s really unlikely they’d be stuck on the bottom.

The thing is tiny and gray in colour. It could be floating on the surface for years and nobody would ever find it. I’d wager it’ll wash up in Nova Scotia in a couple of years or something.

3 Likes

I doubt there is anything like a hammer on board, they don’t even have shoes on. They will have had to improvise a way to bang hard enough to make noise.
In that situation,I would have voted for bashing the CEO’s head against the wall after he revealed that he neglected to install a locator beacon in his deathtrap.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that too. With such a thick hull making any kind of bang could be nearly impossible without something like a mini sledgehammer, and knowing their cavalier attitude towards safety it really seems like they wouldn’t have planned ahead to bring one.

In the reports I’ve been reading a lot of the more level-headed rescue folks seem to be strongly emphasizing that they don’t know what the noise is and are still trying to figure it out.

4 Likes

Field workers know damn well that premature hope can be corrosive.

3 Likes

I was thinking about the same thing but then realized that no one out of those unfortunate souls has 10 digit wealth attached to their name. The difference in treatment is just depressing.

5 Likes

Imagine spending hours suffocating to death with a world of fresh air in clear view through the front window just because some cocky bastard decided your vehicle didn’t need to have any kind of emergency egress.

Now imagine that cocky bastard was one of the people stuck in the vehicle with you.

7 Likes

I don’t think they survive the bobbing, but I do imagine who would be the first in line for the want of food.

1 Like

Google suggests fluorescent green

I wonder if it matters whether rescuers are searching with cameras or with their naked eyes

3 Likes

On the surface through the air, sure. Underwater, there’s a reason everything looks blue. Red and yellow light is attenuated more quickly by water. So it would have to be much brighter to be seen at a distance… where being seen at a distance is the whole point of doing that.

Maybe stripes of flouro green and yellow, for best visibility in the deep and on the surface.

But then, it wouldn’t look as streamlined Apple-aesthetic minimalist cool, so that sort of garish colour scheme would have been as unwelcome as any other sort of functional safety feature, and for the same reason.

(Ego, vainglory, and hubris are the reasons, which are really all aspects of the one reason, which is “I’m rich, so the laws of physics are like any other laws and will do what I say.”)

6 Likes

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

And also this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctugu7KNC2J/

6 Likes

It shows where the priority is. Covering five rich foolish people at their own self inflicted harm makes them way more money than some hundreds unfortunate random immigrants. The attention this one gets comparing to the other where more lives at risk is revolting. Sometimes, I just feel like they’re vultures profiting off people misery than journalists like they’re always claiming. :face_exhaling:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.