SecDef Mattis upset at Pentagon wasting $28 million on Afghan uniforms with wrong camo pattern

Corporate welfare is NOT WASTED. Harumph.

5 Likes

What you do there, I see it.

1 Like

Corporations require their departments to spend their full budget too.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Chocolate Chip Dessert Storm on the menu at Friendly’s back in the 1990s?

6 Likes

I expect that would be very nice to eat after my freedom fries.

5 Likes

Speaking of bad camo: Remember Desert Night camo?

Supposed to be less visible to early gen NVDs. Though it quickly became obsolete, and a marine sniper did a few tests and found out it was more visible than even the regular camo.

3 Likes

It’s totally an imperial fuckton, they’re bigger too.

4 Likes

A few tests? You mean to ascertain whether it worked or not? Isn’t that against military policy?

2 Likes

But, but, but - it’s tradition!

3 Likes

I’ve been pondering this, too. My initial gut feeling was “smokescreen” - but for what?

What the hell, I’ll link to this again.

4 Likes

That’s exactly why I prefer to make up my own.

I’ve always been curious as to how well modern camo actually works. I mean, I get that something vaguely the same color as your background makes you harder to see and harder to shoot, even if you aren’t trying to be especially stealthy. I also get that you maybe don’t want it to be monochrome, given the real world generally isn’t.

That being said that “digital camo” stuff has always seemed weird to me. Does looking like you haven’t rendered properly really make you that harder to see, or would semi-random splotches work just as well?

1 Like

As I understand it, the colour isn’t that important. Camouflage is more about breaking up the shape (and lets face it, if you can’t manage to get your green uniform looking grey/ochre within about 5 minutes in Afghanistan, I’d be surprised).

Semi-random splotches do work about as well as anything else - depending on how far away you are.

The large splotches that used to be used are fine at a distance but pretty obvious close up. Small splotches blend into one at a distance. The digi stuff is supposedly designed so that it works at a range of distances.

It’s also a lot about fashion as JonS says above.

4 Likes

Which is why the IDF uses these oddly shaped helmet covers

3 Likes

Same with this stuff:

It’s more about the outline than the colours.

2 Likes

Tradition!

2 Likes

It reminds me of Rob Ford. He’d toot about finding nickel and dime waste items which his Ford Nation base could relate to, promise to “cut the fat”, then on the big stuff he canceled a fully-funded light rail project for an unfunded, expensive and useless subway project that will only benefit real-estate owners and developers.

I’ve read the link…
So, it’s a grunt wrap?

1 Like