Scott Pruitt's $4.6m "security" bill includes a $1500 worth of taxpayer-funded "tactical pants"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/20/fiscal-restraint-2.html

5 Likes

how many pairs of pants? 10? no so great a price. 5? that’s embarassing. 25? That’s what I pay.

“over $80,000 worth of radios” … yea that’s what radios cost. Sorry!

But the EPA’s function is “to consolidate, evaluate, and publish the information available which will enable all concerned to initiate a more orderly system of making choices.”

They aren’t an investigation unit. They aren’t a police force to execute warrants and enforce the law. So while some staff probably need proper uniforms. They probably don’t need to be breaking down doors on their own.

7 Likes

Good question. I know about tactical pants and polos, and I can probably sell them at half that price to the EPA if they want. Unless these are those actual bullet resistant clothing, then its about right.

But, you know, when people bitch about taxes going to wasteful government, this is an example of that.

5 Likes

I wonder how easy it should be to launder tactical pants? The reason being, I’m fairly sure that there are a few people on both sides of this deal who are experiencing wet dreams about getting what they wanted.

5 Likes

if we are using the news to go all uncrate here at the bbs then i am a bad person because i want a $400.00 hoodie.

1 Like

WTF? It doesn’t even look like Boba Fett? How can you drop that much on a hoodie that doesn’t look like anything?

1 Like

Why does the fucking EPA need a private goddamned army? Are they going to be using violence to keep people from damaging the environment? That seems both unlikely and not very effective. It seems much more likely, sadly, that these will be used for wasteful “drills” (which are just tacticool dweebs playing with guns and explosives) at best, and at worst, they’ll be used to intimidate and suppress people who are rightfully objecting to something like, for example, the construction of an oil pipeline that will absofuckinglutely contaminate their water supply and to which their objections have been rejected without consideration.

3 Likes

No, I don’t really think that’s what the implication here is at all. Trust me, there are plenty of people on BB who will forcefully defend spending absolutely stupid amounts of money on clothing that is no better than what you’d buy in a department store.

What you’re talking about is a hoodie made out of Kevlar. It’s not a very good idea, particularly because Kevlar degrades considerably from UV exposure, but it is at least the cost and difficulty of working with the materials accounts for something. Kevlar is expensive because it’s complicated to make. Egyptian cotton or whatever is expensive because it was arbitrarily decided a long time ago that it was “better.” I wouldn’t spend money on any sort of Kevlar garment that wasn’t meant to be used to stop bullets, but at least it’s not a $400 dollar hoodie that is $400 for completely arbitrary reasons which is what most designer clothing ultimately is.

1 Like

40 pairs! They’re paying under $40/pair for high-quality uniform pants. It’s really weird that with all the outrageous spending, they’re focusing on a line item that appears entirely reasonable.

Maybe they just like making fun of “tactical pants”? They’re practical - I own several pair - but the term does sound silly if you’re unfamiliar with them.

3 Likes

Scott Pruitt is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more he acts like the public wants to “get” him, the more they do.

3 Likes

It is actually better if it’s proper long-staple Egyptian cotton. Long staples (i.e. the fibers) allows spinning thinner threads, which in turn allows weaving cloth with very high thread counts.

4 Likes

So, knurled pants, with crenelated strike cuffs.

6 Likes

not everything has to look like Boba Fett you know.

That’s actually pretty awesome, but I wonder about aging. I had a kevlar, well, quilt really, that was part of an archery target. Worked great for about 8 years, started to get some penetration (no jokes) at around 10 years, and by 15 was easy to send a target point through.

I wonder if this degradation couldn’t be countered by infrequent use of some polymerizing agent like armor all or?

1 Like

Now who’s being naive?

It is kind of hard thinking of Environmental Protection agents being involved in tactical situations. Maybe Mr. Pruitt is a fan of Steven Seagal and thinks “Fire Down Below” was a documentary?

That hoodie is awesome! Looks like what Luke was wearing on Hoth when he had to gut that tauntaun.

1 Like

As a non-American I wonder why the leader of an environmental agency needs to be all that tactical. Maybe sending him on a ballistic trajectory into the desert would explain?

1 Like

I guess this is an example of the eu copyright bill and its stultifying effect on people’s ability to upload memes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAJl-wZElg

You had me at “unique hidden gusset”.

6 Likes

Money wasted on “Tacticle Polos” We all know Tactlenecks are where it’s at.

5 Likes