Scott Pruitt's $4.6m "security" bill includes a $1500 worth of taxpayer-funded "tactical pants"

Has anyone claimed ‘Unique Hidden Gusset’ as their band name?

2 Likes

When you see Scott Pruitt in public, be sure to say HI, SCOTT PRUITT or HEY, EVERYBODY, IT’S SCOTT PRUITT! See, Scott Pruitt’s kind of shy and Scott Pruitt sure would appreciate the gesture. Hopefully, others can pick up the call and daisy-chain these welcomes from whereever he’s going to whereever he’s going:

8 Likes

I’m waring tactile pants right now.

5 Likes

More apposite, I feel.

Can we just speed it up then, please?

We feel your pain… no, PANTS - yep, we feel your pants … oh, no, shit. YOU feel your pants.
Oh dear, that wasn’t very tactful of me

(That’s interesting. I started with a reply to sluggo and then added the papasan quote, and it comes out as a reply to papasan. Is that how it is supposed to work?)

1 Like

Tactical pants - 100% titanium. You can’t move - but you’re very safe downstairs.

4 Likes

Well no, it can be Jango Fett or a Stormtrooper or Darth Vader - but not just a plain brownish yellow hoodie for $400…

1 Like

Roger That!

“… when Pruitt received an upgraded Chevy Suburban with bullet-resistant seats…”

I don’t know if the clothing was bullet proof, but it is good to know that the car seats will survive any shooting incident. :wink:

1 Like

One of those science channels did a tour of place that armors trucks and the like. It is some pretty impressive engineering that goes in to that…

Bruce Lee was the inspiration for the stretchy pants:

Are those tactical pants in plaid?

1 Like

It replies to both! (screenshots below)

36%20AM

50%20AM

If you replied to additional people, it would show as a reply to every one of them.

All true. The question is why the administrator of the EPA feels a need for a bigger security detail than any of his predecessors, or indeed the heads of most cabinet departments. It is Pruitt’s grossly inflated self-importance that is the issue. If all of his mall-ninja and Maxwell Smart security expenditures had been made for the Secretary of Defense nobody would have batted an eye. But he is not a cabinet secretary.

3 Likes

(Please know that this is not meant to be taken personally, and that I am not being malicious. I laid that trap on purpose, you just happened to step in it.)

I’m aware of the material properties of ELS cotton cultivars, but higher thread count does not equal objectively better. Thread count is about as effective at measuring how “good” a piece of fabric is as clock speeds are for comparing CPU performance–more can be better, but it’s only one dimension of measurement, and a lot of other factors come into play that make the number a poor metric for quality. For that matter, the term “Egyptian cotton” is used as a general reference to one of a number of ELS cotton cultivars, and the chances of the cotton actually being from Egypt are quite low. (If you’re in the US, if you’re in the vicinity of Egypt, then maybe, but for most people, probably not.) You won’t find many manufacturers rushing to correct that misconception though, because it makes an incredibly mundane material seem somehow exotic.

This demonstrates my point though. You, as a great many others, have been trained by marketing to associate higher thread counts with luxury or quality. Not because it’s a reliable indicator of comfort or quality, but because it’s a measurement that slots very easily into people’s minds. It jives with our inherent human tendency to equate bigger with better. From the perspective of textile companies, particularly bedding, thread count is absolutely fantastic because they don’t actually have to directly tell anyone that higher is better, people simply automatically assume it, which saves the manufacturer from having to come up with “real” reasons to justify charging a premium.

Not just that, the first time a person learns the term, they are likely to feel like they’ve been ignorant to something they shouldn’t be, and that instantly creates a situation where they will not only want higher thread counts, they’ll defend the fact that they want them as a compensatory measure for their own perceived ignorance. This is really kind of funny to me because it wasn’t until the early 2000’s that manufacturers really started emphasizing it as though it was some kind of objective measurement of quality or luxury. In reality, it’s hardly more than a marketing strategy to justify overpriced bedding to people. I can even remember when it started, and you can bet your ass that the packaging and marketing was intentionally condescending. It had to be in order to plant the notion in people’s heads and create the kind of insecurity that short-circuits some of the rational parts of the brain that would prompt a person to say, “if it’s so important, then why am I just hearing about it now?” That insecurity is what cements it, and it is why the “rule” that higher thread count is better has become common knowledge when 20 or so years ago very few people would have cared, and very few manufacturers would have been emphasizing it, if any.

How to pick out comfortable sheets: go to a store and feel them up. If you like them, and can afford them, buy them. Thread count is a voluntary measurement, and claims aren’t mandated or regulated by the FTC or any other government entity, so the company that made the sheets can quite literally make up whatever number they want with zero consequences. You could catch them exaggerating thread count by five or six times what you would consider a reasonably accurate measure, and it wouldn’t matter at all because there’s no enforced standard on how to measure thread count. The manufacturer can simply say that their method is different than the one you used, and that holds water against any kind of false advertising claims. That’s not hypothetical, most of time when something advertises an ultra high thread count, the number is a fabrication.

I’m not saying that all fabric is equal, or that thread count is an entirely meaningless measurement in textiles overall, but within the context that most people see it, it is, at best, only usually only slightly better than “completely made up.” The fact that someone immediately jumped to defend it, is exactly what I was talking about.

Am I the only one who wants a pair of those Chuck Norris jeans?

3 Likes

And why that security detail needs “tactical” clothing, breach tools, 80k in radios (which is a lot a recent PD contract for a Fuck load of radios from Motorola was 50k).

Why does a regulatory agency need a large security security team kitted out like an anti terror squad to provide security for its head. When everyone else gets by with a couple guys in suits and coordinating with law enforcement?

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that they both got reply notices and were both quoted but the screenshot below - which is what I see - only says papasan at the top right, whereas before I added a quote from his post it said only sluggo, who was who I was replying to when I initiated my post.

Hey-ho. Trivial irrelevance.

Aw, see, I didn’t even read that far down. I just thought it was supposed to be a super well made, high quality (yet over priced) item. Made with Kevlar, it does make sense that it is that much. But the idea it will “last a life time” is kinda silly. Well, you know, as clothing maybe it will be fine. But you are right that Kevlar does break down under UV, and heat, and even moisture effects it. I know bulletproof vests come with expiration dates. While they CAN still stop bullets past the date (especially if well cared for), there will be a point where it isn’t a 100% that it will stop a bullet. I am curious how long it would last as just clothing, though.

Personally if I wanted a really tough, long lasting hoodie I’d use a heavy Cordura.

Ohhhh—I see what you’re saying. Thanks for replying, now I understand.

(As someone who prefers to read the threaded–do I mean nested?–replies as I go along, my mind immediately went to the way that a reply that includes replies to multiple people will show up over-and-over-and-over again as I read through a thread. :slight_smile: )