Security camera footage of wave breaking freighter in half

Can we maybe not make this tired, overplayed, predictable joke when people died here?

2 Likes

So not Ron Funchs’s fault, check.

1 Like

Morons. Everyone knows it was the I//umin*ti trying to conceal a new design for a Jewish space laser.

No coincidence. The soul of the Edmund Fitzgerald reincarnated as the Arvin.

Oblig xkcd:

β€œFun fact: The Edmund Fitzgerad, the Kursk, and the Lusitania all sank in water shallower than they were long”

6 Likes

I find the 1970 model works quite well on alcohol and denial.

2 Likes

An arrest warrant has now been issued for the offending sea.

1 Like

Beware of that deck corrosion, and especially seals on those portholes. As anyone working in geriatrics can tell you, be mighty careful those portholes age well.

:thinking:

2 Likes

I think the questions that linger really aren’t about the ship breaking up. It was known to be in bad shape, but whether or not that was known to the authorities in Turkey, I’m not sure.

The question to me is why the crew were still on the anchored ship in rough waters two days later, and why several drowned waiting for help within sight of land.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that no insurer in their right mind would insure this particular ship.

Possibly, hard to tell. Given that the ship was a 45 year old rusting deathtrap, it may have been just good old fashioned metal fatigue.

Fair comment. Next time will be more selective about matching the quote to the current tone.

Is this why I’m oddly wet in places I weren’t before???

Hoo boy, yep. There are some pretty zany ones, too.

One of the most controversial[1][2] and elaborate theories surrounding the sinking of the Titanic was forwarded by Robin Gardiner in his book, Titanic: The Ship That Never Sank? [3] Gardiner draws on several events and coincidences that occurred in the months, days, and hours leading up to the sinking of the Titanic , and concludes that the ship that sank was in fact Titanic 's sister ship Olympic , disguised as Titanic , as an insurance scam by her owners, the International Mercantile Marine Group, controlled by American financier J.P. Morgan that had acquired the White Star Line in 1902.

Source: Titanic conspiracy theories - Wikipedia

Ironically, the Edmund Fitzgerald was owned by the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Co.

1 Like

Geez. It’s only a slightly older than me.

Am I going to break in two soon? :frowning:

2 Likes

If I look up Bartin on a map I don’t really see big harbour facilities, just a small loading dock in the river mouth. My guess was that the ship was too big/deep to dock over there.
Also, it doesn’t really say what kind of trouble it was. Could have been engine trouble, which is the most common kind of trouble, especially on aging ships (or rust-tubs as my sailor friend calls them ).

No really, I think. If you have engine trouble it can easily take a few weeks before the right parts/personnel can be delivered.
I don’t think anybody was expecting the front to fall off.

It looks criminally undermaintained, even from the blurry video.
My guess the fault lies squarely with the owners of the ship. they must have known it was unsafe to sail.

I don’t think you can really blame any of the nearby ships to not come to the rescue. That’s not easy to do in that wind/weather.

Arvin should have a functional lifeboat , at least if you see older pictures of it. Maybe the crewmembers that died were sleeping below deck? Or in the front part of the ship?

Having done some shipping work (never seagoing though) that video looks (and sounds) horrific.

A modern VHF radio with GMDSS (required by international law on a ship of this size) will have a Distress button which will automatically transmit a Mayday call, including the GPS position, when pressed.

3 Likes

The real, you mean.

I’ll see myself out, but not before saying

αƒ§αƒ•αƒ”αƒšαƒ αƒ©αƒ”αƒ›αƒ˜ αƒ‘αƒαƒ›αƒ¨αƒαƒ‘αƒšαƒαƒ,
αƒ‘αƒαƒ§αƒ•αƒαƒ αƒ”αƒšαƒ˜ ბაαƒ₯αƒαƒ αƒ—αƒ•αƒ”αƒšαƒ,
αƒ₯αƒ•αƒ”αƒ§αƒœαƒ˜αƒ‘ αƒ—αƒ•αƒαƒšαƒ˜, ებ αƒ₯αƒ•αƒ”αƒ§αƒαƒœαƒ
αƒ¦αƒ•αƒ—αƒ˜αƒ‘ αƒ›αƒ¨αƒαƒ‘αƒšαƒ˜αƒ‘αƒ αƒαƒ αƒ˜αƒ‘
αƒ¬αƒ˜αƒšαƒ˜β€¦αƒαƒ­αƒαƒ αƒ˜αƒ‘ ზღვა და αƒ›αƒ“αƒ”αƒšαƒ;
αƒ§αƒ•αƒ”αƒšαƒ αƒ©αƒ”αƒ›αƒ˜ αƒ‘αƒαƒ›αƒ¨αƒαƒ‘αƒšαƒαƒ,
αƒ‘αƒαƒ§αƒ•αƒαƒ αƒ”αƒšαƒ˜ ბაαƒ₯αƒαƒ αƒ—αƒ•αƒ”αƒšαƒ,
αƒ₯αƒ•αƒ”αƒ§αƒœαƒ˜αƒ‘ αƒ—αƒ•αƒαƒšαƒ˜, ებ αƒ₯αƒ•αƒ”αƒ§αƒαƒœαƒ
αƒ¦αƒ•αƒ—αƒ˜αƒ‘ αƒ›αƒ¨αƒαƒ‘αƒšαƒ˜αƒ‘αƒ αƒαƒ αƒ˜αƒ‘

:wink:

2 Likes

Possibly. If I were you I’d avoid anchoring myself out in the ocean by Turkey in rough seas.