See a NYC high-rise apartment creak and wobble during a storm

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/see-a-nyc-high-rise-apartment-creak-and-wobble-during-a-storm.html

4 Likes

Sounds like someone is using a proofing press upstairs and needs to tighten their quoins.

6 Likes

Hopefully someone did all the math.

11 Likes

Wow! From the sounds recorded, it should be cracking drywall and jamming doors in the frames.

2 Likes

My old office building made sounds like that on really windy days, but the movements were almost imperceptible.

My current office building is much newer and much taller. It doesn’t creak as much and the movement here is almost imperceptible, too (I assume thanks to counterweights). But on one floor with double-height ceilings that are a bunch of light fixtures that hang several feet and on really windy days those light fixtures will sway back and forth quite dramatically.

1 Like

I used to live on the third floor of our brick Edwardian, and during particularly intense winds late at night, I could feel the house shifting a bit. Sometimes it was enough to induce the same sort of adrenaline rush experienced during small quakes while in S Coloforniyah, which amused me.

PPFFFT. Top of the Cock in Chicago wins. I can remember being there during a winter snowstorm? AND IT WAS SWAYING LIKE MAD. Sears/Willis Tower does the same.

NOTHING STOPS THE HAWK.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.