See how this 3D-printed gear turns clockwise no matter how it's cranked

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/29/see-how-this-3d-printed-gear-t.html

3 Likes

I remember making something like this out of lego maybe 15 years ago!

3 Likes

He is so impressed with himself!

2 Likes

So, basically, it’s a differential gear?

I dunno, it seems like it’s trivial to do this if you’re willing to tolerate ratchets. If it used only continuously-engaged gears, I’d be much more excited.

Also, I wish people wouldn’t use Fusion 360, even though if it were supplied by someone other than Autodesk I would admittedly be all over that.

That 507movements site is good though. It’s based on an old out-of-copyright book of which you can buy a cheap reprint.

3 Likes

Ratcheting mechanism only turns one way? You don’t say…

2 Likes

Okay, this one is a bit smarter…

Friction.jpg

Scanned from my copy of Cundy & Rollett ‘Mathematical Models’ (cost 30 shillings).

1 Like

I have a screwdriver that uses this mechanism so the bit will only turn one direction while you turn the handle in either direction. You have to hold a knurled center section for that action to work, though. Otherwise it just acts like a normal ratcheting screwdriver. It actually works pretty well.

Apparently it’s called a ‘double drive’ screwdriver. I’m seeing a lot of Kobalt ones, but mine is some off brand I’ve never seen before or since.

1 Like

caution: mac Cleaner ads (shudder) if you click it, you deserve it.

<3 for the use of “capricious”

I would like to attach this to a bucket or flag and watch people’s confusion as they raise it up, but then are unable to bring it back down.

Though it would be a pain to reset each time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.