Which ratcheting screwdriver should you buy?

Originally published at: Which ratcheting screwdriver should you buy? | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That guy should call horse races.

2 Likes

21 minutes on picking the best screwdriver? This guy is really ratcheting up the tension.

12 Likes

I feel like he’s trolling me. I’ve been setting up a new facility and having to make do with the crap tools that have accumulated in the building, a ratcheting screwdriver being the only manual screwdriver in the house. In addition to that, half the screw heads are flats. It feels like a comedy at times and I’m the one being laughed at.

Just got a 200 piece Channellock set. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I already knew that LTT was based in Langley, BC, but I didn’t know (until I watched Linus’s video about the screwdriver development) that Megapro is also in Langley, BC! Sorta weird to have two world-class ratcheting screwdrivers designed and assembled within a few kilometers of each other in a fairly non-descript suburb of Vancouver…

Linus’s video is actually pretty cool, if you’re into mechanical product development and manufacturing: Why our Screwdriver took 3 YEARS - YouTube

4 Likes

I haven’t even watched the video yet and I already need a nap.

1 Like

My father gave me a similar Craftsman one with the bending handle and ratcheting mechanism 20 years ago. I hated the idea of it and didn’t use it for years. But once I did, it’s great. The flex / T handle design allows you to get a good amount of torque without killing your wrist and the ratcheting works well.

7 Likes

I’ve got one of these ratcheting screwdrivers:

It’s bloody rubbish for actually screwing/unscrewing things, but spinning the ring that makes all the extra bit storage pop out makes you feel super cool. There’s even another four bits in the handle.
IIRC it was a couple of quid in a bargain bin.

2 Likes

Looks like a cosplay alien gun

3 Likes

Hey i came here just to promote this exact screwdriver! I love the torque handle and feel of the whole thing. I used one that belonged to the site during an installation, and then found one at a yard sale or fleamarket and snapped it up. When I have limited space or weight for packing tools to take with on a project, this one always makes the cut.

1 Like

Between old fashioned fixed screwdrivers and a cordless drill, I have never felt a need for a ratcheting screwdriver when I have access to my full toolkit. Ratchets are good for portability in an emergency kit. For that purpose, I prefer something smaller, lighter, and cheaper, with a T handle for torque, like this:

I personally did a test of a half dozen ratcheting screwdrivers. I needed the lightest one that could handle replacing a ski binding on multiday backcountry tours. Since then I have a short T-handle screwdriver in all my emergency tool kits.

1 Like

I’ve never really taken to ratchet screwdrivers but I picked this one from Stanley a few months ago and I love it…
Stanley Ratchet Screwdriver Stubby
So I bought it’s bigger brother too and found that very clumsy. There’s nothing wrong with the build quality, it just isn’t nice to use…

1 Like

I have the larger Stanley, and yeah it’s a bit clumsy to use.

I have three tools that don’t live in my toolbox but in my top desk drawer, because they handle about 95% of any quick task that comes up: a Yankee Handyman push drill, a Leatherman multitool and a ratcheting screwdriver. Getting a nicer one would be great, so I’m glad to see this review!

1 Like

I’m still using the ‘Screw Ball’ my grandfather bought in the 1970s. Surprised it survived him, but it’s been my go to for 20 years. Just had a tricky job removing some well gunked up screws and my vintage Yankee made short work where all else failed.

1 Like

I have one of these, also from the 70s. Still works great.

1 Like

Very cool, I had never heard of these!

2 Likes

Yeah I bought the full-size one before I found the flip-handle craftsman for myself. The stanley is indeed clumsy and unpleasant to use and I never take it off the wall.

1 Like

The little one is peachy though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.