In search of the perfect screwdriver

Originally published at: In search of the perfect screwdriver | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Of course if you assemble much IKEA furniture, you’ll want a pozidriv screwdriver. (not quite the same as a Philips, there aren’t fillets at the center of the cross)

8 Likes

PB Swiss, classic handles (acetate)

6 Likes

I’m in the process of re-tooling my 'shop and after much research decided on a full set of Stanley Fat-Max screwdrivers in Slots and Philips sizes for everyday use. (I’ve no use for Pozidrives and my Torx and Allen requirements are already met with a set each of Unior T-Handles that show no signs of giving up after about 15 years of abuse.)

I also bought a little pry-bar to hang with the screwdrivers to discourage me from using the screwdrivers as levers, and a Stanley Fat-Max bradawl to discourage me from using the screwdrivers as poking devices.

I’m working on a way to discourage me from using the screwdrivers to stir paint…

In addition to the Stanleys, I got a set of Wera Lasertips to use as Sunday best screwdrivers (I can’t really explain why I need Sunday best screwdrivers but I do) and a set of Wera Chiseldriver demolition screwdrivers for beating on with hammers if required (they’re designed for this).

The Stanley Fat-Max screwdrivers are a pleasure to use. The Weras are sublime!

8 Likes

Don’t leave those screwdrivers soaking overnight in acetone cos you used them all to stir paint or they’ll dissolve.

Or so I’ve heard. I definitely didn’t do this and have no idea if it’s true.

:innocent:

6 Likes

Wera Kraftform and Felo for full-size screwdrivers, Wiha 4mm System4 bits and a Wowstick power driver for computers and electronics.

1 Like

Yoiks, $75 for the Snap-on. That said, I do admit that the quality of most drivers with swappable bits is shoddy, and I do appreciate well-made tools.

2 Likes

Type? I’ve had a cat’s paw/flat bar puller around 25 years that shows no signs whatsoever of letting up. It’s helped me pull and tear a lot of stuff. I have a wonderbar for bigger stuff, and a wrecking bar, and bought a molding bar about 15 years ago and use it as well, but that cat’s paw gets the most use.

1 Like

In acknowledgement that I must say something on the subject: The best screwdriver is the one within reach. It surely is not the number two phillips that is always absent, that motherfucker.

15 Likes

That first image of Savage immediately made me think of this:

• and then I laughed like the idiot 12 year old that I am.
2 Likes

I’ve learned that it does not make any difference how many one has, either – they will always be elsewhere.

3 Likes

This is my favorite multi-use one so far. The shaft reverses so you have a double headed flat bit and a #2 and #3 Phillips bit on each end and the receiver end fits standard bit drivers and extensions. The handle is nice and chunky a works well when wearing gloves. $10 bucks at Home Depot.

5 Likes

Those Stanleys are indeed nice. I’ve only got one, and that triangular handle is great for grip and torque.

2 Likes

It’s a Roughneck 7" flat pry bar. Its only job is stop me blunting and bending the screwdrivers. I was tempted to get a Wonderbar but I felt it was too wide.

3 Likes
  • 1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger good quality vodka
  • 6 fluid ounces pulp-free pure premium orange juice
  • ice cubes

pour in glass, mix well.

9 Likes

I’ve just discovered this!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-55-045-7-1-2-inch-Wonder/dp/B00002X1XS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=20BWJXWXOJWWS&keywords=Stanley+55-045&qid=1645551013&sprefix=stanley+wonder+bar%2Caps%2C934&sr=8-1

It’s EXACTLY what I had in mind.

Ah, yes. Those are handy little nail-pullers when the nails are in tight.

1 Like

1 Like

neva’ gonna’ happen, I promise

specially treated to smell like unicorn puke when they get old

2 Likes

Aye, there’s the rub(bing alcohol).

My favorite screwdrivers are the ones in my iFixit kit. One of the most useful gifts (if not the most useful) I’ve ever been given.

1 Like