Mininch tool pen: a "pop a point" screwdriver

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/15/mininch-tool-pen-a-pop-a-po.html

3 Likes

22 Likes

I had a similar “screwdriver pen” to this one back in the day, it worked well, and was convenient, but you’d be surprised how much you miss having the torque from a proper handle. Even just removing screws from servers or networking equipment was enough to cramp the heck out of my hand using a driver as narrow as this.

12 Likes

Like the pop-a-point pens, is this $70 screwdriver also rendered useless if you lose one of the points? Also: heavy yet light on torque.

4 Likes

Pretty, but very expensive for what you get. My favorite mini screwdriver for the past decade has been the Husky HD-74501, which I found at Home Depot for about $10. 8 tips (that store in the handle), and a well balanced handle that rotates when you need to apply a bit of pressure. For years I gave them out as Christmas presents to all my tool-loving buddies.

8 Likes

Capitalism needs you to spend $70 on tools valued at about $5, because slick design!

7 Likes

Capitalism wants you to, but capitalism will also kick you in the berries for assuming that you’ll do the same volume as a $5 tool priced at $70.

5 Likes

I’ll go to my grave advocating for Snap-on ratcheting screwdrivers. The ratchet is super smooth, and the only time in 20 years that I’ve seen the action get messed up was when my boss used one to open a paint can, which they literally warn you about right on the handle.

Expensive, but so worth it in the long term, like most good tools.

4 Likes

I figured out that T is Torx, SL is slot, P is Phillips, PZ is Pozi-Drive, and H is hex, but what is S? Square Robertson?

And I find that my $3 Ace Hardware pocket screwdriver works very well, after I replaced the Chinese bits with nice Irwin ones 25 years back. It has a lot of torque available, and fits easily in my pants pocket.

4 Likes

I used to have a “pencil” like that as a kid…

Kind of gadget someone gives you and you play around with but never use as it was intended.

8 Likes

So if I’m switching back and forth between two bits, not an uncommon situation, I have to push all the bits one by one through the handle each time I swap them. This is a new definition of “elegant” of which I was previously unaware.

[quote=“nixiebunny, post:9, topic:91235”]
what is S? Square Robertson?[/quote]
I assume so.

Yes. Many of the bits are fairly small, but a PH2, T25, or S2 would require more torque than this tool can comfortably provide. They include an S3 which, if it really is a #3 Robertson, is the appropriate size for #12 screws. I advise carrying a wrench to fit that hexagonal handle.

The Picquic line are my favourites
https://www.amazon.com/Picquic-88101B-Sixpac-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver/dp/B00LWANR3O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1481858770&sr=8-5&keywords=picquic+screwdriver
Their Multique compact model is not much bulkier than the Mininch, offers much better torque, and costs $9.99 US.

For small screws, they offer the famous Teeny Turner ($7.76)
https://www.amazon.com/Picquic-06102-Turner-Driver-Assorted/dp/B001QVPHBO/ref=pd_sim_469_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YD3F145H0Q5G39V79XG8

5 Likes

I guess random access isn’t as exciting for tools storage as it is for data storage?

4 Likes

Yeah, that only costs like 6 times what this stubby did, including the hex bits I loaded it with. Random access, easily seen bits, good torque, you can push one out partway to see if its the right one for the screw before actually pulling it out, and being standard 1/4" size, you can use any powerdrive length bits, or any extension, or any 1/4" ratchet for the bit. If only I could find it again! I bought it out of a bucket of them at the local electrical supply, then it was gone. The imprint says FASK or TASK, I think, so if you see them…

EDIT: that Teeny Turner is close, I added it to my Amazon list.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a clone of the Picquic. I recommend the real thing. The Teeny Turner, though, is really small. The bits are almost jeweller’s size. For general use, get the Stubby. It takes 1/4" bits.

3 Likes

I actually used up all of mine that I got, but you had to because there wasn’t a whole deal of pigment in those colors :frowning:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.