See the world through Wes Anderson-colored sunglasses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/28/see-the-world-through-wes-ande.html

2 Likes

PT7v

10 Likes

So is this color supposed to represent the color of aging film stock? Or did vintage film actually prefer an amber filter?

4 Likes

Will they help me to find Bill Murry?

13 Likes

Mostly the former, I suspect. Cinematographers in the 1960s and 1970s were aiming for the cameras to be as true to the image as possible, and relied more on using filters in the lighting rather than in the cameras. That’s why film manufacturer brands like Technicolor were so prominent.

I personally think the sunglasses are selling the nostalgia angle because the advantage that is normally used, of better contrasts (really, really important when driving!) is a much harder sell and makes the bug of the yellowish teint into a feature.

8 Likes

There is a real life precedent for this sort of color scheme. In the late afternoon, you have the magic hour. When I find myself walking outside during that time. I often am struck by the warm glow the light has. It’s similar to this sort of filter.

10 Likes

I had a pair of Polaroid sunglasses, they definitively had brown/orange tinted lens.

Looks that similar models are still manufactured.

https://www2.polaroideyewear.com/us/en/sunglasses/pld/2017/PLD-1028-S.2001790saosp.html

1 Like

Hipster “They Live” glasses?

7 Likes

I use a pair of prescription sunglasses from Zenni with a warm brown lens – you can easily customize any glasses on there with a variety of sunglass tones. They were like $20 and make the world look like autumnal ‘magic hour’.

3 Likes

Another reason I love oil paintings by masters like Winslow Homer who realized the sunset may be pretty, but turning your ass around and seeing the colors reflected in the sunlight is even prettier.

8 Likes

Obligs…

6 Likes

Crowley’s sunglasses or none. His outlook was right.

4 Likes

Pepper’s Hop Scotch sunglasses from REI have a similar effect for ~ $13.

1 Like

[puts on glasses]

[looks at computer]

[looks at stereo]

[looks at my e-mail inbox]

[looks at my mother]

[looks at my father]

Yep, they work pretty well.

28 Likes

So and 85 filter?

1 Like

Anyone watching A.P. Bio? They do the same thing:

Do they make you 64.81% more quirky?

1 Like

I prefer my films to be ungraded. When I saw Inside Lllewn Davis, my first thought upon seeing the color grade was “Why”? Haven’t the Coen Brothers done this enough times?

On the other hand, the Aviator used color grading to tell a story.

But the Scorcese got it completely wrong in Hugo, so…

1 Like

“From the director that can only be described as Wes Anderson”

5 Likes

Hmm…