See what happens when a spoon of liquid nitrogen is dropped into a bowl of gasoline

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/22/see-what-happens-when-a-spoon-of-liquid-nitrogen-is-dropped-into-a-bowl-of-gasoline.html

8 Likes

Snl Bag GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

Regarding that second video, that Crazy Russian Hacker guy had made at least one video in the past where he was showing how to make what he was repeatedly calling “liquid nitrogen” by chilling isopropyl alcohol to really low temperatures with chunks of dry ice. Obviously that wasn’t really liquid nitrogen but it was still cold enough to do some fun things like freeze and shatter a rose.

Looks like he was able to get his hands on some real liquid nitrogen this time.

2 Likes

Just don’t try it with liquid nitrogen’s next door neighbour on the Periodic Table.

4 Likes

How do you even make liquid carbon?

7 Likes

When atoms love each other very much, they form intimate bonds…

9 Likes

Colin Jost Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

halloween pentagram GIF

3 Likes

according to this handy (dandy) phase diagram(me) it requires lots of pressure and lots of temperature (and lots of lov’n)

(and for some insane reason recalls an ancient Wild Wild West episode where liquefied diamonds gave you super speed)

10 Likes

I’m guessing that there is also an effect from the heavy gasoline vapors keeping the nitrogen in a coherent blob, rather than letting it spread out to cover the whole surface, although I don’t know what the surface tension of liquid nitrogen actually is.

1 Like
3 Likes

About 5000K and a few tens of megapascals of pressure - similar conditions can be found in the centre of a McDonald’s apple pie.

4 Likes

Magical! Scientifical!

Also good fun is to pour LN_2 into one end of a dusty chalkwell on a blackboard. It rolls to the other end, comes bouncing back, goes back and forth a couple of times before boiling away. In the meantime it’s collected a slurry of what behaves much like water and chalk dust… until it’s all boiled away and the dust is now in new (verrry fragile) pieces of chalk.

6 Likes

Wow, gasoline wasn’t at all necessary. Water would have worked just fine.

1 Like

It’s like an '80s sword & sorcery movie. Love the sprite zooming about the cauldron.

1 Like

… and that’s how the eyebrow-less people are made!

2 Likes

that right side axis is a bit much. drinks, fine. but i don’t think there should be pressure in bars

2 Likes

Once the pentagram was completed, the portal opened.

2 Likes

Don’t let the liquid Nitrogen stand uncovered for a long time before trying this trick with the gasoline. It’s cold enough to condense LOX out of the surrounding air, which will make its presence known if you dump it directly into fuel.

2 Likes