Self-amused fast food CEO taunts employees with the lottery rather than meaningfully improving their lives

And customers, ahole customers.

Wow, employees using employers to get what they want. Awesome. Work ethic didn’t change because employees don’t have any, it changed because people finally realized working their whole life and then dying might not be the best use of their limited time on this planet.

They also have a franchise system the only allows a single restaurant per owner meaning that owner can devote all their time and resources to one location. The average Chik-Fil-A also has, on average, twice the yearly sales as a McDonald location.

Lots of things at play that affect customer service.

Another problem is there are normally no fixed schedules in the fast food industry and the schedule doesn’t get posted until a couple days before you’re scheduled. The schedule is constantly modified based on sales. That makes it darn near impossible for someone to work two jobs or go to school to better themselves because for the most part these businesses don’t want you to better yourself because then they can’t take advantage of you. That has a huge affect on employee morale and motivation.

It’s a messed up system this capitalism.

This article explains how they are able to beat out their competitors.

14 Likes

And no practical avenue for criticism by the move for the employees, either.

suck my dick middle finger GIF

9 Likes

Came to say a version of this.

Human brains are really bad at picturing extremely large and extremely small numbers. The odds of winning the lottery are so incomprehensibly small as to be literally zero by any reasonable statistical error bar. It’s a common belief that if you buy $100k of tickets then surely you’ll win. Again, this reflects how badly people grasp that the odds are essentially zero. There’s an old stats joke that “buying a lottery ticket does not increase your chance of winning”.

“But someone will win!”, people always say. Yes. But I guarantee it won’t be you, even buying hundreds of thousands of tickets.

Current odds of winning the lottery this clown blew 100k on are 1 in 302.5 million. For comparison:

Your odds of being hit by lightning in your lifetime: 1 in 15,300
Your odds of being killed by a meteorite: 1 in 150,000
Your odds of dying in a car crash: 1 in 107
Your odds of finding a double yoke in an egg: 1 in 1000
Your odds of Being killed by falling furniture: 1 in 5580
Your odds of your kid being born with extra fingers: 1 in 750
Odds of a planet-killer asteroid hitting earth this year: 1 in 1,000,000

Sorry for the mostly-death stats, but we have the best stats about death generally, and I was trying to pick things that most people think will never happen to them in order to put lotteries in proper perspective.

Do not buy lottery tickets and if you can help it, don’t work for a business who’s owner has so little business acumen that he would blow huge amounts of money on them.

17 Likes

Anecdotal, so YMMV but my fav burger place pays minimum $15 hr. The employees don’t look wiped out or soul-weary when I go by. Even during the lunch rush, they don’t seem harried. The food is always good and our order almost always correct. Sometimes I end up with the wrong cheese. This is a local chain. I suspect the pay and reasonable working policies have actually resulted in accurate orders in a reasonable time

7 Likes

The only thing that surprises me is the fact that the CEO isn’t directly profiting from the ticket purchase i.e. they owned the gas station they bought the tickets at.

7 Likes

If there is no winner, we’re going to buy until there is a winner

That is absolutely a can’t-miss investment strategy!

In general, if you spend $100k on lottery tickets, you can probably expect to win back about… $25k in smaller prizes, or so? (Even with 50,000 tickets, the odds of winning the big jackpot still round to zero, of course). So I guess each employee can look forward to a nice 50 cent bonus on their next paycheck. Minus 20 cents to the IRS, naturally. Sweet! Don’t spend it all in one place!

5 Likes

There is one foolproof way to win the lottery, guaranteed. All you have to do is buy every single possible combination of numbers. It’s been done before (although they had fewer combinations back in those days).

6 Likes

But, I have just as much chance as being the winner as everyone else that buys a ticket.

In other words, somebody WILL win, for me to have even an astronomical chance I have to have at least one ticket.

Somebody will wake up the morning after one of the next drawings and have a ridiculous amount of money, that’s a fact. It’s also a fact it won’t be me unless I’m the person on the news.

Gotta go buy a couple losing tickets or maybe the winning ticket. Either way it’s fun to dream and the 2 dollar investment makes the dreaming a little more fun.

Using the lottery as an investment is silly, using 2 dollars to have a couple hours of dreaming with my wife about what we would do is cheap entertainment.

7 Likes

The fact that you find it fun means you didn’t understand anything in my post. If you understood the odds were statistically zero, you would find it less fun than setting two dollars on fire to watch the pretty flames.

But hey, you do you.

3 Likes

I see nothing wrong with spending money that you can afford to lose on a ticket or two for entertainment purposes. In Japan, they have Jumbo lottery drawings four or five times a year, and I am not ashamed to admit that I buy a few tickets each time.

Then again, the odds with the Jumbo drawings are in the 1 in 10 or 20 million range (the prizes max out at around 8 million USD equivalent). It’s still astronomical, but not in another galaxy.

4 Likes

I did understand your post, the oods are astronomical but they ain’t zero. Why can’t it be fun to dream about beating the odds?

I dream about a lot of things that are astronomically impossible, impossible because my wife says so.

Sorry but somebody will win.

Odds of it being me not so good, odds of it being someone who buys a ticket as opposed to someone who doesn’t are actually pretty good because eventually someone does win.

It’s absurd to use the lottery as an investment or to think it will solve your financial problems but it’s no more a waste of money than going to a movie or a ball game or any other form of entertainment.

The CEO in this topic is an idiot and the lottery does count on people not doing the math but I do know the math and I will do me because it’s fun.

4 Likes

The odds are so low, however, to effectively be zero in the number of chances a human will have in this lifetime.

Not my holiday bonus, ok?

6 Likes

I get that, I really do but that’s not the dream, the dream is it could be me beating the odds, it’s the same dream as the person that will win the jackpot is having right now.

The 2 dollar tickets just makes the dream a little more fun.

Sheesh, doesn’t anyone have dreams or fantasies?

A little fantasy, especially in today’s world, makes things just a little more bearable if only for a few hours, minutes, or seconds.

And I agree, the CEO is an ass.

7 Likes

Although you can nurture those dreams with some entries at Publishers Clearing House (or such) and it won’t cost you any money.

2 Likes

Admiral Byrd’s Kentucky Fried Chicken Fingers.

This answers my question of “What do you throw instead of a pizza party, because your work is in food services and you don’t want to support the competition?”

2 Likes

Yay! I’m special! :wink:
I’ve found that a couple times, but we used to raise our own laying hens, so probably my chances were better than most.

Re: the whole lottery ticket thing, (caveat: first should have living wage and good work schedules and conditions) but if the CEO wants to blow $100k every week or so on some kind of ‘lottery’ thing, it’d probably be better for the employees if he just put it in a pot and held the lottery among the 50k employees, if that’s legal. Because then, at least, one of them would win. :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

heck, I can’t even win the local Boys and Girls Club raffle. I’ve bought so many losing raffle tickets over the years it’s becoming a statistical anomaly in itself!

6 Likes

I can get better odds than that on the eggs; our local market sells packs of double-yolkers. I found a triple once. Sadly, they don’t sell guaranteed winning lottery tickets.

5 Likes

And it’s not even a funny joke.

THIS: My roommate works as a pharmacy technician for one of the large chains; Her schedule is all over the place with no real pattern or regularity to it.
On the other paw, when I was working at a McOpCo (McDonald’s corporate) store, the hours were pretty regular, but that was a different time period, and the local management (store and area) were actually humans who cared about their employees.

5 Likes