Senator Kyrsten Sinema leaves the Democratic party

Originally published at: Senator Kyrsten Sinema leaves the Democratic party | Boing Boing

16 Likes

can-you-ever-forgive-me-kidding-me

Sinema… She’s mad that she’s no longer a person who can command attention in the Senate, so she’s finding a way to bring attention back to herself…

Pick Me Season 10 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

64 Likes

Not surprising at all.* She was always a power-hungry and attention-seeking snake in the grass. Once she lost her leverage with the Dems she was going to quit the party.

[* well, maybe a bit of a shock to the Dem establishment that’s spent years rewarding Sinema’s and Manchin’s bad behaviour.]

53 Likes
25 Likes

I didn’t think her career had any logical steps.

44 Likes

Now we can’t even primary her…

21 Likes

At least she is very honest about what she is doing

30 Likes

Michelle Obama GIF by Election 2016

29 Likes

She doesn’t seem to have any core political or moral values at play… I can only guess she’s in it for the power, money, and attention. :woman_shrugging:

46 Likes

In four years, the Republicans might, assuming that she runs.

eta: Two years. I thought she was in the 2020 batch for some reason.

13 Likes

That part right there. The EXACT same thought I had.

Not really that much of a shock. The dems know they have to hold on to every vote they can get because their coalition of “people who are not the Republicans” is slim and always will be prone to fracturing. It’s far harder to be the big tent party.

Now she can’t run as a Democratic party member and it’ll be even harder for her to hold onto the seat. She’ll have to effectively get people from both parties to see her as the better choice. There’s almost no Democratic voter who will at this point, and Republican voters NEVER vote for anyone but GOP people (they will sit out rather than vote for another party).

She knows she’s toast. This was her way of sticking a thumb in the dems eyes and trying to gain more attention for herself. What it WILL likely do is toss that seat back to the GOP because she’ll try and run as independent and it’ll probably split off just enough votes from the democratic primary winner for her to tank their chances.

42 Likes

So, I guess she’s now an IINO?

23 Likes

First, Good riddance. Secondly, I wonder how much of this switch is to avoid a likely losing primary campaign in two years? If she runs in two years as an independent against Democratic and Republican opponents, my guess is Republicans re-take the seat.

7 Likes

There’s no need to make it harder by getting a reputation for giving someone this obviously disloyal and treacherous all those committee assignments and chairs. A big tent doesn’t have to be led by doormats.

Sadly, there’s a good chance that the party will let her keep some of those committee positions to keep placating her.

Speaking of rolling over for DINOs, Sinema’s move probably means more Dem kow-towing to Manchin.

17 Likes

I posted this in another thread, but while her net “favorability” ratings are underwater by double digits in every single demographic, she’s “only” got a net unfavorable rating of 10% among independents so I guess she’s going to, well, not exactly where the love is but to where she’s hated the least.

24 Likes

Have you MET the Democratic party?

I’m only half joking there. With some exceptions, they are the definition of milquetoast.

16 Likes

28 posts were split to a new topic: Attention-Seeking Behavior, Depictions Thereof & Sexism

Next campaign season, Republican sources are going to offer her a LOT of money if she will officially change affiliation from Independent - after the election, of course.

7 Likes

Good riddance in general, but couldn’t she have waited a couple years?
Does this mean the Dems won’t get majorities on committees now?

14 Likes

Book deal and Fox commentator gig in 5…4…

12 Likes