Senator Kyrsten Sinema leaves the Democratic party

I expect it has to do with which party she caucuses with (eg. King and Sanders are Independents who caucus with the Dems). If she wants to keep her chair positions in the Senate committees she’s on, she’ll be wise to stick with the Dems. Someone with more knowledge of Senate rules please correct me if I’m wrong about this.

8 Likes

So now she’s an “Independent”?

Republican in Independent clothing?

15 Likes

My guess is that she:

1. Uses her leverage to get as many quid pro quo points with various industry lobbying entities as possible in the next few years. This move, of course, maximizes her ability to do that.
  2. As late as possible declares that she won’t run again
  3. Jumps to a nice cozy multimillion per year gig with one of the aforementioned lobbying entities
23 Likes

This is a good point. I’ve been assuming she’d go the media route, but lobbying is also a possibility.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I hope not; as red as this stupid state is, it’s been shifting (slowly) blue over the years as the Overton window pushes right, so we may end up with another democrat to replace her, even if it’s a DINO…

Compleatly off tangent, but I keep wanting to pronouce it “Man-Chin”; but then, I’m silly like that.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Attention-Seeking Behavior, Depictions Thereof & Sexism

A post was merged into an existing topic: Attention-Seeking Behavior, Depictions Thereof & Sexism

Is there a juicy cabinet position she would leave the Senate for? Secretary of State? SecDef? Does AZ replace congresscritters by Gov appointment or special election? Because this is a problem that could be solved. And with this shit she’s pulled, no one would blink an eye if the Biden admin nominated her, she resigned her Senate seat, then fired her ass.

16 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the correct take. Why would she surrender the DNC apparatus going into her next election cycle? Because she knows she’ll be primaried by Gallego (or like, anyone else) and would waste a massive amount of campaign funding going into the general. I’m not saying it’s the only consideration as there are lots of good thoughts upthread, but it may be the thing that ultimately swayed her.

Also: Get bent, Kyrsten.

15 Likes

It’s definitely too early to know how it might play out but according to Ballotpedia Arizona elects Senators with a plurality of the vote (no runoff elections) so it may be easier for her to get a relatively small portion of the electorate but still act as a spoiler.

I guess the good news is that right now more Republicans like her than Democrats do, so it’s conceivable that she could act as a spoiler for the Republican candidate.

13 Likes

That pretty much encapsulates my hope right there. Nobody on the Democratic side will vote for her as an independent, I believe. I imagine she could pull a lot of Independents (who are basically Republicans in all but name) as well as a bunch of non-maga Republicans if the GOP ends up with a maga candidate out of the primary. This could really mess with them

8 Likes

Wait, she was Green Party? How do you go from that to corporate shill?

9 Likes

Easily! First you have your moral compass surgically removed. Then…

14 Likes

Dog Walking GIF

I couldn’t find a “wolf in sheep’s clothing” gif, but maybe this will suffice.

16 Likes

Many of her former supporters have been asking that for a while.

19 Likes

I guess I could try and take some solace in the fact that Angus King & Bernie Sanders are independents.

But I really think that she’s the love child of Joe Lieberman and Ginni Thomas.

19 Likes

She went from “Green party” to “too far right for right of center democrats”?

4 Likes

The Mary Sue nails it:

21 Likes