Senator Ron Wyden introduces a bill banning FBI backdoors

“Wyden makes me want to move to Oregon. It’d be nice to be represented by a lawmaker who wasn’t a total, colossal asshole for a change.”

If you make it to Oregon drop me an email. I’d be happy to show you around, it is a nice state.

1 Like

Does anyone else process the title as banning FBI sodomy? And yet the the context still works.

1 Like

Here here. Oregon isn’t perfect, but it’s nice to have occasion to feel proud of how our representatives represent us.

2 Likes

Proud to be an Oregonian.

1 Like

I’ll most likely die of dysentery on the way, but I’m gonna try!

5 Likes

I’m going to celebrate being an Oregonian represented by a sane congress-critter by… Going for a walk in the bitter rain to grab a pint of microbrew. Glad to see other NWs here :).

(Btw the video game Oregon Trail is a point of pride. I think we have all here survived dysentery :smiley:)

*With tattooed strippers who wear glasses.

3 Likes

That made me snort IRL.

1 Like

Came here to submit this exact story if it hadn’t already been posted. :rabbit:

Stayed to mention that this prospective bill has a hole in it:

(b) EXCEPTION.—Subsection (a) shall not apply to
5 mandates authorized under the Communications Assist-
6 ance for Law Enforcement Act (47 U.S.C. 1001 et seq.).

What does 47 U.S.C. 1001 et seq. say? Well, I had an easy enough time finding said law but it looks like a rabbit trail. I wasn’t able to determine what this exception actually entails but it looks like it could be a pretty damned big one.

That said, if you’re in the U.S., I still think you should consider contacting your congresscritters and letting them know you support Wyden’s bill.

1 Like

Read as: “Senator Ron Wyden Introduces a Bill Strengthening the First and Fourth Amendments. Hardcore Patriots Vow to Fight It.”

Cory has shown up for book signings in Portland. Look for the next tour when his next book comes out. They’re interesting events.

Often, the pros are the cons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.