Send Pics: ripping, brutal, amazing novel about teens, sextortion, revenge and justice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/21/merciless-teens.html

Over the past decade or so, Lauren McLaughin (previously) has written a handful of outstanding YA novels, each dealing with difficult issues of gender, personal autonomy and the casual cruelty of teens, starting with Cycler (and its sequel, Re-Cycler) (a teenaged girl who turned into a boy for four days every month); Scored (a class-conscious surveillance dystopia); The Free (a desperate novel about a teen car-thief in juvie) and now, her best book yet: Send Pics, a gripping thriller about sextortion, high school, revenge and justice.

2 Likes

Wait. Cory? On Boingboing?

2 Likes

He probably was commissioned to do the review before he left the site and he (and boibgboing) might still have a contractual to publish the review about the book.

But, I wonder how long it is going to take for the last post from Cory to appear.
If this was a more fantastic reality, I would guess that the last post would still be scheduled to appear after the world ends.

2 Likes

DeShawn Hill, his best friend, a talented modeler and roboticist who, despite his gentle demeanor and nerdy hobbies, is also a serious martial artist who steps up to defend Marcus from Tarkin and repeatedly drops the larger wrestling captain in front of all his buddies.

So I see the book isn’t going for realism and instead is a more of a wish-fulfillment fan-fic. Wrestling is a martial art, and many of the best MMA fighters have a wrestling background for a reason. Wrestlers train hard, are very strong, and they have tons of experience sparring with full resistance. Unless DeShawn is a golden glove boxer who cross-trains in grappling and has a decent takedown defense, or is a nationally ranked BJJ competitor and is near Tarkin’s weight class, he’s just going to get his head slammed into the pavement by a champion wrestler.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.