Serious runner seriously reviews $16 WalMart running shoes, and they seriously suck

Have the child laborers who made this shoe been punished yet?

That’s probably only true of places where a bicycle is a luxury exercise item, and not a critical mode of personal transport. And by “places”, I mean a kind of metaphorical cultural “place”, not necessarily a geographical location.

This thing is a work-horse of all the people who cycle to work everyday in the fields in rural India. It used to cost about 2500 rupees last I checked ($40?) and last approximately until your grandkids had grandkids. It doesn’t even have a page on the web, 'cause it’s marketed to people who think a web is something to be dusted away. And the ride is actually pretty comfortable, given that it’s designed for rural Indian “roads”…

This thing on the other hand is from the same company, marketed at urban tweens. With the obligatory “21 speed Shimano gears”. If you tried to cycle it home from the store, you’d probably end up with the handlebars coming off.

Vimes’ Boots is true upto a point. But we also need to be aware of the opposite - just because something is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s actually good.

6 Likes

These guys would endorse that choice.

Is a ‘serious runner’ someone who’s not allowed to look like they’re enjoying it? I do see a lot of those.

2 Likes

Ironically, it costs almost nothing these days to make a quality timepiece thanks to quartz technology, and $5-$10 quartz watches probably will tell better time than $1000 mechanical ones.

3 Likes

What comes to me as weird is that one of the least important functions of the $1000 ones is timekeeping.

Can we put some trigger warnings on these kind of posts?

I have bad knees and a genetic condition which means I’m unable to exercise. Seeing how this new fitness fad is really taking off on Instagram and the like really bothers me, it promotes an unhealthy body image and I actually find all these ‘fitness’ posts quite triggering.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.