'Shadow' app that failed in Iowa caucus was doomed from the start, say those forced to use it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/shadow-app-that-failed-in.html

10 Likes

The error resulted in the Democrats delaying all public reporting of the results of Monday’s caucuses,

Should we even care about the results at this point?

15 Likes

Hey, the 2020 election only holds the date of American liberal democracy in the balance. Time to move fast and break things!

And that’s before we get to the funders behind this company, who have links to Uncle Joe and Wall Street Pete.

20 Likes

This just proves that the DNC is a dinosaur, they can and will fu@k up at any turn.

P.S. It’ll come out that this was a sad attempt to kill Bernie’s momentum. Bet on it.

26 Likes

I love the consistency of the Democratic Party machinery. Not only will they innovate ways to mess up amazing opportunities that land in their laps, but they’ll even go out of their way to run that extra mile and create new scenarios for Extra Bungling.

Duopolies suck.

10 Likes

Even if it doesn’t turn out that way, the BernieBros will perceive it as such and find another reason to either stay home during the general election or use it as another opportunity to “teach the Dems a lesson” by voting for Biff if Sanders isn’t the nominee.

This is bad no matter what the root causes are.

19 Likes

important? yes. “deeply?” no. Quite the opposite, only important superficially and by accident. bye, Iowa caucuses.

8 Likes

Shadow Inc? Really? SHADOW inc?

Who the shit trusts their voting system to a company named like a bad sunday-morning-cartoon villain?

I look forward to hearing about how they’ll be upping their IT security by hiring Cobra Command.

45 Likes

As much as that may seem a good idea to start the BernieBro thing again, they never had those kind of numbers and they still can’t throw a General Election to tRump. That data / info BernieBro was flawed from the get go…

8 Likes

Did we care before?

It’s a shame how much money was spent campaigning in Iowa just because it’s first. For a system that must be one of the worst ways to get results, excluding the most people possible, all for a result that barely includes more people than the population of Minneapolis (estimate, it’s probably less people in the caucus once they release the data).

They should just give everyone a $100 when they return a secret filled out ballet instead, probably still cheaper and it would do more good.

4 Likes

If the DNC was trying to make Iowa caucus even more insignificant, well they succeeded wonderfully.

12 Likes

Bernie’s personality cultist [ETA: numbers] are better than Yang’s, but they’re still embarrassing.

The problem here is the effect it has on morale and on confidence in the Dems, which isn’t high to begin with outside Biden and Buttigieg supporters.

[disclaimer: I support Sanders or Warren]

7 Likes

Job Opportunity!
Shadow, a Democratic Digital Firm seeks a Client Success Representative to respond to incoming requests for help, manage the client-facing help center, and any client training.

Source:

14 Likes

Not convincing in the least. But I respect your thoughts on this, I will add however that I will vote a DEM rotten ham sandwich over tRump any day and any way I can.

10 Likes

Same here. A rancid ham sandwich (or even Biden) would be better than Il Douche.

14 Likes

This is insane. Everyone who said “no” is saying that if their favorite is not nominated, they would prefer to see Trump re-elected. They would rather see this country subjected to another 4 years of misrule by a creature who makes George Bush look like a Mensa member and makes Dick Cheney look like an angel. They would rather see another 4 years in the White House for a man who is barely one step away from being a traitor. This is beyond insane.

22 Likes

I know there will be a ton of hot takes, and I’m not helping by adding one…

Why did this need to be an app, when a website would have done the same? Why bother with app development when it’s a basic form submission?

8 Likes

I don’t see some “conspiracy theory”, I see full on conspiracy being done right in front of us. How is this not being investigated by the authorities? If this happened somewhere in Bolivia, there would be an uproar about lack of transparency.

6 Likes

But in absolute numbers, Bernie’s 16% probably amounts to, oh, basically Yang’s entire base. And among Bernie’s 31% “depends” folks, I’d bet there are a significant number whose “depends” is “I will hold my nose and vote for Warren BUT THAT’S IT.”

I don’t know how to get across the message other than to say it again and again and again:

IF HE IS REELECTED DONALD TRUMP WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY PUT ANOTHER KAVANAUGH IN RBG’S SEAT. ALSO PROBABLY BREYER’S.

11 Likes

Even a web site would have been asinine. The reason these people wanted this is twofold.

First, technological ignorance combined with almost senile misunderstanding of how to reach other people. They have an idea that apps are somehow a hot thing nowadays. They don’t understand squat about apps, but they see it as a bandwagon they have to jump on. They think creating an app will somehow make them seem modern and up to date to younger people. And they’ve spent years hearing from other people about how the Republinazi abuse and misuse of social media and electronic communications was so important Cheetolini getting elected, and they’re hoping they can beat the Republinazis at their own game. This is like watching your grandfather thinking he’ll look cool to the young people by buying a transistor radio.

Second, like the Republinazis, the Dumbocraps want to have a means of controlling the voting that allows them to tailor the results the way they want. The reason they won’t go back to physical ballots is because they want to be able to hire hackers to change the vote counts. But where the Republinazis have spent decades figuring out to to make that work, the Dumbocraps are just starting to get their feet wet in the field of electronic voting fraud.

This is both pathetic and frightening. In a national election process, in the business of the population expressing their desires for leadership, the politicians all want a way of “counting” votes that the population is not allowed to know anything about, and they don’t understand one thing about it. This is not just a travesty, this is the beginning of a national nightmare.

6 Likes