Share more of your unpopular music opinions!

At least the music video for The Saint is cute. Even if the song doesn’t fit in In Sides at all.

Not ashamed to say that it’s a classic, perfect pop song. I wish they’d rerelease it in a “we’re sorry, it was the 90s” mix that removes the goofy record scratching from the chorus.

1 Like

I had no idea. I love them even more. Thanks!

Hey that is pretty cool. I knew Debbie Gibson was writing her own songs and other things though I was never a fan of the bubblegum pop she was making at the time and now I have learned even more.

Unpopular musical opinion: Record scratching needs to make a comeback.

1 Like

キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!

BTW [quote=“nungesser, post:88, topic:72268”]
I wish they’d rerelease it in a “we’re sorry, it was the 90s” mix that removes the goofy record scratching from the chorus.

[/quote]they did.

and @ChickieD, the reason for the popularity of MmmBop is the Dust Brothers production (of Paul’s Boutique and Odelay fame.) So, there’s scratching. Out of place, but their overall production made this song. The way Hanson wrote it, it was a ballad:

2 Likes

The college radio station in my hometown had a weekly show by this eccentric who lived in the woods up on the mountain and rumor was he had a plate in his head. Practically every week he argued that Buddy Holly, not Elvis, was the real King.

Community radio rocks. I miss hearing that guy.

6 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like
1 Like

I confess a weakness for instrumental easy listening (when it’s done well, I don’t care for stupid orchestral arrangements of the Beatles and such). I love hearing the texture, you can tell that it’s real instruments being played by real people and not some sampled midi crap. This is how I knew I was going to love Always Sunny in Philadelphia before the opening credits were even done.

Love is Blue is practically a masterclass in great arrangement:

Yeah, everybody loves 60s Herb Alpert, and this was popular at the time but you don’t come across it much anymore. But if there is a more unabashed example of who-cares-about-anything laid-back-70s-vibe than this, I’ll eat my hat. This is what quaaludes take when they want to relax.

4 Likes

Back when the cocktail thing got bit for a bit I realized that a lot of this stuff is quite good just not what was played at the stores. This kind of stuff crosses over into film soundtracks especially euro b cinema. I will once again suggest the ElDiabolik Podcast for all kinds of wonderful music from films of all kinds. Heck they got me hunting down Bollywood music.

1 Like

love Rise.

I, uh, don’t want to ruin it for you, but it’s also the sampled source of an extremely popular Biggie song.

the Dells version of Love is Blue is sampled by Ghostface, but it’s not as blatant, or as popular of a song.

wait, did we talk about this in another thread?

Absolutely. I have a hard time taking Elvis seriously (the vast number of parodies/impersonators I know have a lot to do with that, I’m sure), but Buddy Holly’s music just seems more modern than Elvis’.

BTW, I’ve recently reread Eugene Byrne and Kim Newman “Back in the USSA”, which is a collection of short stories about an alternate history where Eugene Debs basically became the Lenin of a Communist USA (with Al Capone as the Stalin and Upton Sinclair as the Trotsky). Anyway, in this history Buddy survived and basically became a dissident-musician similar to East Germany’s Wolf Biermann. Not that that’s relevant, but I thought it was cool.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of DJ Shadow’s Endtroducing and anything by Kid Koala, so I love me some scratching. I had no idea the Dust Bros. had a hand in MMM Bop!

1 Like

If we did, I don’t think it was me!

1 Like

I luuuurved The Box. Haven’t heard it in years. (I wonder if I can find a vinyl pressing)

1 Like

I’ve never met anyone who loves Mark Lanegan’s stuff near as much as I do.

2 Likes

Yeah, I kinda like easy-listening instrumental music too…

Seeing Vernon Reid here reminds me that Living Coloür has got to be the most underrated rock band in the USA.

There’s also the film “Six String Samurai”, which takes place in the last free state of the US, Nevada, after defeat by the Soviet Union. After Elvis’ death, Buddy Holly takes over to protect people and repel invaders in the post-apocalypic wasteland. I haven’t seen it yet, but I have been meaning to.

I expect that they have taken some stylistic liberties!

5 Likes

I’m going to have to see that. Right now.

2 Likes