Share your unpopular music opinions

The Cure’s first album was in '79, though according to everyone in the scene, punk’s death can be traced to just after they got into it.

1 Like

The Cure isn’t punk.

1 Like

I have never liked Dave Matthews and find his fans dreadfully insufferable.

Every car I ride in has a ban on Rod Stewart.

Steely Dan should fall off a cliff.

4 Likes

Drop some They Might Be Giants in there with one of their kids albums, they’re great.

8 Likes

I also like They Might Be Giants, although I haven’t listened to as much of their recent work as I would prefer.

I don’t know if that’s an unpopular opinion or not.

1 Like

I was bummed that the last two recent TMBG shows here though all ages it was basically 16+ and I couldn’t bring my kid. I did go to the Nanobots show though.

I don’t have their kids album, but honestly half of their songs are great for 4-year-olds anyway. Some of the themes are not exactly kid friendly, but a huge amount of that will go over their heads anyway.

(ETA: If you aren’t familiar Mono Puff is a side project from one of the TMBG Johns - not that great, but Unsupervised was a real winner)

You say that as if it’s a bad thing? -_-

2 Likes

You are some kind of ninja.

1 Like

That’s AlbumS… plural! And they are really great even for adults. At the very least get No!.
And if you get Here Come The ABC’s get the CD/DVD combo, seriously.

2 Likes

Oh, you are brave!

The first time I heard Tom Waits at a friend’s house while they raved, I thought they were playing some kind of practical joke. Still unlistenable for me.

The Grateful Dead are only popular because their fans developed a pavlovian response.

I like Steely Dan

5 Likes

There was some kind of circle graph a few months ago, not sure if it was on Boing Boing or Facebook (or both) showing how people stop listening to new music the older they get. What I said then, is that there’s always something new to me. Luis Russell recorded around 86 years ago but, until a few months ago it was new to me. And there’s always something else to be unearthed.

But I mostly quit giving a shit about new rock/pop when I was in college. The exception was around 2000, when I heard new (or still reasonably new) albums by The Roots, Common, D’Angelo, Jazzyfatnastees, Adriana Evans, Davina and Ambersunshower.

“Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

I like just about anything of his up until around '65 and then I like one song out of every third album. I like the more folkish and poetic songs.

2 Likes

My least popular musical opinion: Django Reinhardt is the greatest guitarist of all time and always will be.

10 Likes

I’m bummed they never do their kids work anymore either.

I saw them once at an X-Games event. Closing act. Everyone left mid-set.

3 Likes

It’s not easy being me, but I do make it look good.

4 Likes

I thought this was supposed to be unpopular music opinions.