Shel Silverstein's filthy not-kids' book, "Uncle Shelby," beloved of George RR Martin, is back in print

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/28/shel-silversteins-filthy-not.html

4 Likes

One of my favorite books… Shel’s work is a treasure.

7 Likes

I read somewhere that Silverstein was something of a book collector, which is why his work only seems to be in big hardcovers with thick pages. I suppose that hasn’t changed? He was also a sometimes-contributor to Playboy, if the notion of an adult book is unusually surprising.

In other news:
http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6477715/if-new-shel-silverstein-books-were-released

5 Likes

I despised him until today. Good to know he was a bit perverted. It’s like learning the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory also wrote short stories for Playboy.

4 Likes

Really? Did you not know of the wonderful songs he wrote?

9 Likes

Silverstein also wrote for Playboy for 40 years.

9 Likes

This wasn’t his only “adult” book. I remember my local library had “Different Dances” when I was a kid. Lots of penises, and boobs, and sex, and violence. Hilarious as well.

4 Likes

Why? Even his kids’ books are subversive.enough to cause giggles.

“There are too many kids in this tub
There are too many elbows to scrub
I just washed a behind that I’m sure wasn’t mine
There are too many kids in this tub.”

- Crowded Tub - Shel Silverstein

“Mo memorized the dictionary
But just can’t seem to find a job
Or anyone who wants to marry
Someone who memorized the dictionary.”

.- Memorizin’ Mo

11 Likes

Gave a copy to my niece when she was 10. I am the BEST UNCLE EVER.

If you’re not familiar with Shel’s music, I recommend you buy “Inside Folk Songs” STAT:

3 Likes

He could also be sad:

Or pretty damn dark:

6 Likes

Oh man. I haven’t seen this in YEARS. I definitely need my own copy.

1 Like

So I take it you’re not familiar with Dahl’s Uncle Oswald stories.

With Silverstein I don’t think saying he was a bit perverted quite does justice to him.

5 Likes

I second your motion.

1 Like

My friend yelled through the transom, “grab your coat and hat son, there’s a nut down on the corner giving Uncle Shelby away!” But I got stoned and missed it :smiley:

4 Likes

You need Someone Like You in your life.

Also try Switch Bitch if you can stomach reading four of the longest rape jokes ever told.

2 Likes

This isn’t even close to his most perverse work. Check out Different Dances.

5 Likes

I found it in my grandmother’s collection when I was maybe eight. She was pretty ticked off when she found out I read it.

3 Likes

According to a brief tribute to him by a friend written shortly after his death Silverstein and Hugh Hefner collaborated on making Playboy in the first place.

When I was a kid and thumbed through my father’s stash I was shocked at first to see Silverstein’s signature on some of the cartoons, but it made re-reading my favorite poems in his children’s books even more interesting.

2 Likes

His spoken word stuff is pretty entertaining as well.

4 Likes

I’m curious what made you despise him prior to learning he had a dirty side. I imagine most people know him as the author of “The Giving Tree” which I can’t imagine could lead to such strong negative emotions.

4 Likes