Shingy, AOL's secret weapon for staying hip, is leaving

AOL: tries to be hip but can’t be bothered to keep my mom’s intarweebs running.

5 Likes

In much the same way Max Headroom was the real human being Matt Frewer.

12 Likes

I recently have been enjoying the garbage conservative trolls this week on the Blind app.

So many of them work for Oath!

Which is consistent with the AOL employees I have met in real life. Trolls, dumbasses and crazy full of themselves. It is no wonder Shingy was one of their MVP’s.

9 Likes

So he’s off to chase the next bright shingy thing?

7 Likes

digital

Digital!

15 Likes

I think Carlos Kaiser was the master, somehow getting into elite sports teams despite not having the skills to play at that level

14 Likes

Wow had never heard of this guy. Fantastic!

9 Likes

At first read I thought this was a time-warp post from 2009, not 2019.

7 Likes

That’s typical AOL. Ten years out of date. Shingo transitioned from head of marketing to “digital prophet” in 2010, about a decade after everyone else had jettisoned their own parasites. Nobody was around to warn them of course, because the rest of the tech industry had long since moved on, so for nine glorious years he got paid to do dick-all.

I have to wonder if this “departure” wasn’t the result of some executive finally asking the question “Has our digital prophet ever gotten us ahead of a single tech industry development in his entire time working here?”

10 Likes

Con-men of the highest caliber!

Vaguely reminds me of Kurzweil, except Kurzweil actually invented things, like OCR.

5 Likes

Rasputin comes to mind.

9 Likes

IKR? I thought he was just an actor playing a character cooked up by the marketing department, like Ronald McDonald or the Geico Gecko or something.

11 Likes

tumblr_ovhezsjcfe1r1ult6o4_500

tumblr_ovhezsjcfe1r1ult6o3_500

19 Likes

Because they have VISION :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::sunglasses:

9 Likes

I would get worked up over it, but:

1. It was AOL’s ill gotten money he was blowing
  2. On cocaine, so now he is broke
6 Likes

Cocaine breaks a lot of things.

(Trigger warning)

1 Like

AOL?

giph2y

16 Likes

14 Likes

So that video was the “SHINGY INTRO”. What does the SHINGY OUTRO look like?

8 Likes

Am I the only one who read that as “AOC’s secret weapon” and went “Wut?”

11 Likes