Ship exhaust makes ocean lightning more common and intense in shipping lanes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/28/ship-exhaust-makes-ocean-light.html

7 Likes

Now that was interesting. Thanks BB!

5 Likes

Makes sense when you think about the water vapor in the exhaust from any combustion in aggregate it will lead to additional formation of clouds which eventually due to friction with the atmosphere will build up an electrical charge and ZAP! I wonder if aircraft exhaust vapor induces a similar result but with diminished impact.

3 Likes

It’s the alien whale defense system.

4 Likes

5 Likes

There is evidence for them having an effect on local weather patterns.

6 Likes

Hmm…exhaust plumes promote lightning…Try SCE to AUX.

I remember that study after 911. Amazing what aircraft contrails are doing to this planet. There is some positive action taking place in regards to aircraft emissions including noise which I consider to be just as important.

“UK budget airline EasyJet has paired with US firm Wright Electric to develop a battery-powered aircraft fleet that can be used for its short haul flights.”

And ships too:

4 Likes

Shocking, isn’t it?

3 Likes

More evil dihydrogen monoxide pollution. When will we ban the stuff already? Kids are splashing it in people’s faces. Cruel!

1 Like

Seems like Musk/Tesla has found a new market for electric cargo ships. Now with built in superchargers…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.