Short documentary about famous live concert bootlegger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/29/short-documentary-about-famous.html

3 Likes
6 Likes

The Grateful Dead routinely allowed fans to tape their concerts. (Occasionally if their sound person was in a good mood, they’d even let a few fans patch a recorder into the soundboard). The band wasn’t cool with selling the bootlegs. They were traded among fans. Now most of them are up on archive.org for streaming, or bt.etree.org for downloads. The quality of the sound varies, but some audience recordings were pretty good, for example 1971-08-06 (Hollywood Palladium).

6 Likes

Big thumbs up!

This is a most excellent movie - one of my favourites, that I have watched multiple times and will again. The soundtrack is just superb.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, Metallica in their early days (pre- Napster and Cliff was still alive) used to be cool about fans recording their live shows. Read an interview where they cited the Dead bootlegs, and said that if they’re fans enough to be into a bootleg, they’d be fans enough to buy the new albums.

2 Likes

Well I can tell you if your name is rerun and you try to record the Doobie Brothers you are going to have some splanin to do.

From “the jaded review’s guide to Hippie Watching in North America” Vol. 1

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.