Listen in on all of the great performances from 1969's Woodstock music festival

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/16/listen-in-on-all-of-the-great.html

4 Likes

This is super cool, and a wonderful alternative to the expensive limited-edition non-streaming-or-digital box sets of this material.

Also: How did I never know, until right now, that The Band, Johnny Winter, and the Incredible String Band played sets at Woodstock?

i listened to the first 2 hours or so yesterday, and then tuned in last night in time for Arlo Guthrie and Joan Baez. super interesting to hear it in (approximately) real time, with all the stage announcements and between-set communication. I can see why Arlo’s set was trimmed down for the album and movie – he must’ve been high as a kite, lol. i love Arlo, but wow can that man can RAMBLE.

3 Likes

gUhYxPIMdSMPsQk2od8GyPUs52o%3D

8 Likes

“Listen in on all the great performances from 1969’s Woodstock Music festival.”

So I guess they won’t be playing the Grateful Dead’s set?

" Well, we played such a bad set at Woodstock. The weekend was great, but our set was terrible. We were all pretty smashed, and it was at night. Like we knew there were a half million people out there, but we couldn’t see one of them. There were about a hundred people on stage with us, and everyone was scared that it was gonna collapse. On top of that, it was raining or wet, so that every time we touched our guitars, we’d get these electrical shocks. Blue sparks were flying out of our guitars" --Jerry Garcia

7 Likes

The less said about the “Unicorn Incident” the better

1 Like

“Attention, attention”
repeat like 9x
“There’s a batch of bad acid going around…”
“don’t take the brown acid”

4 Likes

Sha Na Na was something that kids who came a generation later didn’t understand, and it took me a while to figure out that even hippies had their own nostalgia, in this case for doo-wop which was the music of their childhood.

3 Likes

What’s really bonkers about Sha Na Na is that when they appeared at Woodstock, they’d only performed a handful of times (mostly just around their college), had no record contract, and hadn’t released any songs. But their bass player was a friend of Jimi Hendrix and Jimi was a big fan, so he recommended they open for him. Their set was a total shock and surprise, the crowd went nuts, and it ended up kicking off the 50’s nostalgia wave of the 1970s.

9 Likes

If WXPN really re-created all the master tapes we will hear the Grateful Dead at some point.

Anyone know what day and time they played real time?

I was 10 years old at the time and thought hippies were stinky.

3 Likes

According to the site linked in the article (and here again: https://thekey.xpn.org/2019/08/08/xpn-presents-woodstock/), they played on August 16th at 10:30pm.

1 Like

Cool! Thanks @Enter_Name_Here.
I might wake up by then. It’s my bedtime now.

1 Like

John Fogerty prob wishes they wouldn’t…

“John Fogerty on the Grateful Dead at Woodstock: ‘They sabotaged our chance in the limelight’”

What a crybaby. The idea that the GD guys would sabotage anything is just laughable.

2 Likes

And then they got their own variety show…

Word is that Santana was pretty damn high for his set, too. I think he said it was mescaline.
This clip includes the full Michael Shrieve drum solo on Soul Sacrifice. They way they come back into the song at the end of his solo is fire.

4 Likes

Then there is this concert…

3 Likes

Way past Woodstock though.
Stuff happened. Kent State comes to mind. Altamont was a glitch but Kent State ended an era.

1 Like

i remember the Sha Na Na variety show, for sure. i read this past week that the organizers kept pushing Hendrix to go on earlier because they knew he was going to be mind-blowing, and he was adamant about not going until everyone who had been waiting around longer than him went first, especially Sha Na Na, because they had been bumped a couple times already. whether calculated or not, his decision to go on at sunrise ended up contributing to his legendary performance.

2 Likes

It was Jerry who dosed him!

2 Likes

I took the borwn acid. But it wasn’t at Woodstock. It was windowpane sent directly to me from MIT. And it rocked. Hard.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.