Watch iconic concert film 'The Grateful Dead Movie'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/watch-iconic-concert-film-the-grateful-dead-movie.html

1 Like

Ach, I always wanted to love the Grateful Dead, and I love reading about them. But alas, I find most their music terribly boring. Will probably still watch that film. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Agree. I love the ethos, but I could maybe name three songs, tops.

What I find interesting is that they probably saw ‘Woodstock’ in 1970 and got the idea to do their own film, then found out the hard way just how difficult that is.

2 Likes

Oblig:

3 Likes

Watched this recently with the kids, confused the hell out of them.
Awesome people watching!

1 Like

Check out the Dick’s Picks recordings. I’m indifferent to most Dead, but those recordings are live and (I believe) mixed from two channels. Makes everything bleed together more which creates a grittier, more rock n roll (for the Dead) sound. For me, most of their other stuff (live or not) is too compressed with their vocals and solos too front and center.

1 Like

Um, you do know that the Grateful Dead played at Woodstock, don’t you?

1 Like

Yes, and footage of their performance (and by some accounts, the performance itself) was of such poor quality that it inspired Jerry to make his own documentary.

3 Likes

If you can remember that. You weren’t there. :grinning:

3 Likes

Andrea, true enough. The combination of rain, drugs, and equipment problems made for a remarkably poor performance. Most folks seem to agree; I dunno, I wasn’t there, and I’ve managed to avoid seeing the footage so far.

I recall seeing the movie, with two other friends, back in the early 1980s at Seattle’s Neptune Theater. At one point, the film jammed, and Phil Lesh melted before our collective eyes. In a split second, the theater went from stunned silence to full cheers.

Yep. Lots of trippin’ was going on in that room.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.