Should Disney release "Song of the South"?

But why help them feel better for being racist at all?

6 Likes

The precious fee-fees of ‘decent White folks’ must be preserved at all times, no matter what the circumstances or context may be.

Michael Harriot’s response to ‘Philip F’ is most relevant to that point:

10 Likes

I’m confused: I thought your first post was written sarcastically, and that you were calling Disney cowardly for not acknowledging their racist past. However, your later posts suggest you sincerely do want that movie released. I’m too young to have ever seen it, but it’s clearly racist and pro-Confederate. You appear to agree with that judgment—so why do you want it available for streaming? I just don’t understand what your position actually is. Would you be willing to clarify?

2 Likes

I suspect that he would have ultimately rejected the role as it was written, since it was, once again, a lost cause mythology influenced film.

You really think that there aren’t already copies in circulation, that it’s not been shared and can likely be found online?

9 Likes

Besides my joking - there really are copies on ebay…

8 Likes

It’s on fucking youtube. Seriously. I mean… it’s not like it’s hidden from sight.

11 Likes

I saw it in the early 80s, and I think that was on a VHS? It was available in my lifetime… they rightfully decided to pull it from further circulation.

But the Disney-gestapo is stopping god-fearing Americans from re-living the gentile south!!! /s

10 Likes

It’s strange how Disney’s lawyers haven’t taken care of that…

As I said earlier, I haven’t seen the whole movie, but based on the clips I have seen, I can tell that, even if it weren’t racist, I would still think it sucks. It just looks boring.

4 Likes

Of course there are.

Of course it is.

No matter how horrible, there’s a market for pretty much everything.

Same here; though I saw it on cable tv when I was about 7 or 8.

I’m guessing it was probably on the first iteration on the Disney Channel, back before they realized what a liability that film is to their brand.

Which makes a person of apparent privilege clamoring for it’s needless ‘re-release’ even more suspect.

11 Likes

Your confusion is understandable, because I am calling Disney cowardly and would like to see the film released. (Although not necessarily on streaming, but it is not officially available in any format in the U.S.).

To the first point, Disney is being cowardly in keeping it locked away. It’s not like this is the only film of theirs that isn’t racist (last I saw, those damn crows are still in DUMBO.) They could put together a special edition with features including discussions about the film in context. As you might guess, I would love to see them add a documentary about the entire sordid arc of the production. And it is possible to do – WB had the same problem when releasing Looney Tunes on DVD, so they put the problematic ones in a single box set with a video forward piece/warning by Whoopi Goldberg (who, I hasten to add, would also like to see this film released.) So yes, maybe not on streaming where all of that context is easily lost, but not mothballed in a Vault of Shame (Europe excluded) until the sun burns out.

To the other point, yes the film is clearly racist. (I would argue with your assertion that it is pro-Confederate, since the Civil War is well over before the film; I would instead say that it is pro-post-Reconstruction, which indicts not only the South but the GOP for ending Reconstruction in exchange for the Compromise of 1877. Regardless, the film does not delve into this aspect of history.) But certainly for its time it isn’t racist, and that’s kind of the point; at the time it was made, the US Army hadn’t even been desegregated. That discomfort people feel about it, even having not seen it, is a sign of seven decades of progress.

But I think it’s unfair to those in it and who made it to condemn the film for not being wildly ahead of the curve. It should be seen and appreciated, warts and all.

Maybe tell that to all the people who protested it AT THE TIME.

This film was racist then and it’s racist NOW. Given that it’s easily accessible, it’s not “locked away.”

10 Likes

IT’S ON YOUTUBE.

What is your point of wanting an “official” Disney release?

Sure… we should totally “appreciate” a piece of racist-ass revisionist sugar-coated bullshit, because that’s what you personally think is best… never mind all the countless Black people and other minorities like myself who would inevitably feel disrespected, exploited and dehumanized by a pointless reissue that would have far more negative consequences than any positive ones.

Thanks so much for so distinctly demonstrating the concept of obtuse White privilege in action; kudos.

9 Likes

should we have a separate song of the south thread? all the cat from outer space and kurt russell comments are getting buried. ha.

3 Likes

Considering that petitioning for the reissue of a bigoted film isn’t the topic, perhaps it should be.

5 Likes

You’re right, saying “for its time it isn’t racist” is a misstatement on my part.

My statement should have been that it was not progressive compared to America, especially film culture, of the time. Or, as I said later, it was not ahead of the curve.

The crows are not a central part of the movie, unlike SOTS.

8 Likes

Other films were. Some were in fact made by African Americans…

http://dhbasecamp.humanities.ucla.edu/afamfilm/whatis/history/

They very much could have a made a better film, and they decided instead not to do that. They could have talked to scholars of the day (WEB DuBois would have been willing to help), but instead they decided to glorify the antebellum south.

There is no reason to release this film. None. They won’t do it because it’s not economically viable, because it would most certainly cause a backlash as it did at the time. You can get the film quiet easily, if you’re really interested in reliving that piece of propaganda.

5 Likes

And those films that survive should absolutely be preserved and made available.

It must be glorious to live in a world where media does not play an active role in stirring up racial tensions and/or is used as a vehicle for recruiting and fostering extremism.

11 Likes

It IS available! Which you’ve been told several times by several people here on this thread, but you’ve managed to ignore.

Do we need to have reissues of the Eternal Jew, too, meticulously restored to all it’s anti-Semitic glory, on blu-ray and DVD? Because we don’t need that. Scholars can access it if they need to view it to study it or show it in a class in an appropriate setting, and there are likely samzidat copies that circulate around the anti-Semitic underground, much like this film.

But none of this needs to be reissued. There is no reason for that. None what so ever.

10 Likes