Should the UN seek to protect Americans from their own government?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/22/should-the-un-seek-to-protect.html

8 Likes

oh, wow. if the UN stepped, in it would totally validate all the cookoo crazypants stuff about the UN taking over the US that the fringe on the right has been saying for years.

28 Likes

Well, it would make for an interesting session of the Security Council.

16 Likes

I’ve been thinking we could use some international monitors and peacekeepers, if such things could work here, but yeah the boogaloos would probably take that as a sign to open fire.

18 Likes

The UN is very bad at protecting people.

6 Likes

“The UN is bad at protecting people”
Trump Administration: “hold my beer”

39 Likes

I’ve been waiting to hear someone say this. It will be interesting to see if this speculation is taken-up as a right-wing theme. I could see the Republicans quietly getting a few UN election monitors very publicly assigned just so they could clutch their pearls about “UN Invasion” and use it as both a voter mobilization strategy and a handy corroboration when they decide they don’t like the results of the election.

4 Likes

Might makes right in international law, so whatever the UN should do with respect to the US, it’s not going to happen.

4 Likes

Since the USA is one of the five permanent members of the Security Council, which means that it has a veto, this sounds like a pointless exercise, no matter how well-intentioned or even necessary it might be.

8 Likes

Thinks about the UN in Rwanda and Yugoslavia…

alton-brown-cringe

13 Likes

Independent election monitors would be nice

10 Likes

Yeah, that would be a very bad idea. Only we can save ourselves.

4 Likes

Yep - especially when the counter-motion against China for the Uighers was proposed.

Stalemate all round.

5 Likes

I’ve been saying the same thing…

Anyone know who decides to send international election monitors to a country or how the process works?

2 Likes

This was the interesting move that I believe George Floyd’s brother made when he spoke at the U.N. a few weeks ago that the systemic treatment of black people in America was in essence a human rights violation.

That there’s a second call for this re: protecting people from their government’s inept covid 19 response is interesting, but honestly it took roughly 6 months for white folks to bring something like this up, versus centuries of abuse and mistreatment of BIPOC.

3 Likes

Ours is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

We don’t need to be protected from our government, we need to be protected from ourselves. We have a popularity contest every two years to select our representatives from a pool people most unsuited to represent us. Anyone decent or qualified is psychologically crushed once they’re elected and now much swim with the sharks.

3 Likes

Could we please be invaded by Canada? I’d really like to trade insanity for healthcare.

8 Likes

Canada: Hand me back my Molson.

1 Like

I haven’t read the link, but doesn’t it make more sense for the UN to help countries that need help and want that help.
I don’t believe that the UN has a lot of spare resources to waste on countries that are intentionally ignoring the pandemic.

1 Like

“We have monitored U.S. election independently for many years.”
putin
“Our monitoring program guarantees it is working as intended.”

8 Likes