Should you point utensils up or down in the dishwasher?

A friend has a dishwasher with one of those and I want one

12 Likes

The silverware cage in ours has includes enough surfaces to keep them from accidentally slipping through to hang halfway out of the container, but it also prevents most of the eating surfaces in handle-up silverware from getting hit by a direct stream of water. Detergent is supposed to soften the food enough for that to not matter, but it does. Knife handles up for safety, but spoons and forks handles down to expose the surfaces which need the most cleaning to the most moving water.

10 Likes

< ain’t nobody got time for that.gif >

7 Likes

Handle up, but if someone does it the other way, you don’t complain.

I don’t even have a dishwasher now, but there still is a difference of opinion of how to dry things.

4 Likes

This truly is the only way to go. And it handles chopsticks well, to boot.

10 Likes

Wood ones too? I’d think they’d warp

4 Likes

Nothing with a wooden part goes in my dishwasher.

12 Likes

It’s no slower to load than the baskets, and significantly faster to unload.

11 Likes

I leave it up to “natural” selection process of assorted pairs we buy. Same goes to stainless steel cutleries :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I bought a big bundle of chopsticks in the country of Taiwan that can go in the dishwasher. The guy on the street selling them had two in a whirlpool-with-soap display, and left them running in it all day. They looked like new. True to advertising, the ones I’ve bought are as good as when I bought them in 2018.

18 Likes

Wow…That is satisfying to look at though.

I don’t really care other than knife points down for table knives… It’s annoying to get cut.

12 Likes

I actually read my dishwasher manual in the hopes there was a secret way to just turn on the dryer. Those hopes were dashed because everything is a micro-controller controlled program with no dry only cycle.

However, I did find out that the manufacturer recommends you mix the utensil handles up and down. This is to ensure that none of the utensils overlap during the wash. They assume the utensils move quite a bit in the wash and they don’t want any spoons spooning.

That being said I still put my utensils down just because I find it faster to grab all the handles to sort them.

7 Likes

Yep, same here, Bosch dishwashers FTW.

10 Likes

You can call me a monster, but handles down every time, As I’m the only one who loads or unloads the machine, I have no problem with cuts.

The main reason, though, is the price of the replacement baskets after knifes and forks have been loaded point-down and bollixed the bottom out of most of the compartments. They’re about 15 quid a bloody pop!

10 Likes

Just to be the contrarian, I do both. I alternate. 1 spoon up, 1 spoon down, 1 fork up, 1 fork down. That way it limits the same type of silverwear ending up back to back with another like it which might prevent thorough cleaning.

Knives are just down, though, because I’m not a monster.

12 Likes

Oh, look who can afford all the baskets they fancy!

(joke joke joke!) :grinning:

10 Likes

Korean metal chopsticks FTW!

10 Likes

All you need to know about the Bosch dishwasher is that it’s so quiet that they had to install a red light that shines on the floor to let you know when it’s running. I’ve had other dishwashers that sounded like a jumbo jet landing.

14 Likes

It’s a terribly sad story but it has happened in the past that a child was killed by a knife in a dishwasher: (this is incredibly rare one hopes)

5 Likes

I love the metal chopsticks but they do have a tendency to fall through the holes unfortunately…

5 Likes