Show Boing Boing author as topic author?

I know it’s been brought up a few times in the launch mega-topic, but this deserves its own topic.

Instead of every topic spawned from a BB post having the generic red-iconed “Boing Boing” user as the author…

… how about if the topic author was the same as the actual author of the post, e.g. the forum accounts for:

• Cory Doctorow
  • Xeni Jardin
  • Some other people whose names escape me

That might make the “participants” column a little more exciting (and accurate), and encourage authors to interact with the topics on their BB posts too.

4 Likes

If you guys decide to go down that road, and if the code to make that work makes it into the publicly-availble wp-discourse plugin, I would be super-excited :smiley:

Yes. We REALLY need that. We’ve spent years pointing out that the editors are different people and that we don’t have a party line. Lumping everything together as BB undermines that.

2 Likes

I have this now implemented in the latest WordPress plugin, will work with @deanputney to get it deployed:

Also fixed it so when we publish stuff from WordPress we disable every single validation, this allows you to post a topic called “q” on BB and have it published here.

@geek may also be interested.

OK in theory this is all getting deployed now. We’ll see how it goes, should be a lot less red square BB and more actual authors!