Show Your Stripes: visualizing climate change in your location by displaying 100 years of average temperatures in color bars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/11/hot-hot-hot.html

5 Likes

Interesting but a legend would be nice so I can understand the data

2 Likes

A visible time scale at least. Meanwhile, California shows a few spikes but lately it’s hotter and hotter. Too bad I can’t search by coordinate or zip - state-level is too rough. Anaheim ain’t Tahoe.

1 Like

Obviously, Chinese climate-change hoaxers hacked into the NOAA and altered all the historical numbers.

(Also, I’m a BBS Commodore now so I’m going to see what kind of stripes I can put onto my sleeves.)

1 Like

Climate Central has a version that lets you get city level data.

6 Likes

Anyone else having trouble distinguishing between the darkest colors? I can barely tell extreme cold from extreme hot.

You missed the second selection drop-down by city. You have to pick from a predefined list of cities, but it’s more granular than the state list.

1 Like

So…rocketpop you’re saying we’ve gone full Rocket Pop?

9 Likes

Tennessee is all over the place, so it really doesn’t help unless I know what the data means.

THAT being said… they make great wallpaper for my iPhone!

Very broad strokes here. California is an enormous land mass, a more specific area map would be better.

1 Like

Russia has no sub-divisions. Norilsk is no Derbent.

2 Likes

That just means you are an admiral on another captains ship

I can manage without a visible time scale (1844-2019 is fine for me, @RioRico) but the meaning/gradation of the colours (how many degrees?) would help - without it, this diagram is just so much meaningless pretty pattern.

And as for location, I’d like to welcome Oxford as the fifth country in the UK…

6 Likes

Here is Englands bars.

1 Like

Alaska:

1 Like

Better than me I get data for “Canada”.

Much better.

This is a great idea but a bit more detail would enhance credibility. The point, I assume, is to provide data to help local advocates make their case, and so it would be much better if the local-specific downloads include a bit of explanation embedded into the graphic. Not too much, but not zero as is the case in the current version. The horizontal (annual) scale is clear to anyone who has looked at the website, but not to anyone who sees only the downloaded image. (The image title is helpful but not sufficient.) Also, the meaning of the colors is unclear (red obviously means warmer, but by how much?), and this could be fixed by adding a scale next to the main graphic, as is standard practice in scientific illustration. A climate change denier with any sophistication (yes they exist) would immediately challenge the color code, and would quesiton whether the color scale has been manipulated to maximize the perception of small differences. Also, whether the color code signifies the same thing everywhere. Does it represent degrees C/F, or standard deviations from 100-yr mean, or what? A possible improvement would be, along with downloading the image, download a factsheet that documents in nontechnical language what the image represents and what data it is based on. Probably it is all discoverable somewhere, but to be effective it must be easy to find and easy to understand.

1 Like

Isn’t this for people who don’t do graphs? There are plenty of graphs out there, and the data is readily available, but as I understand it people in large part aren’t moved by data. If they were we’d be in a different place. This is making the point with very low resolution: see, blue colder, red warmer, see all the red? That’s us warming.

1 Like

1 Like