Shutdowns don’t get bad linearly; they get bad exponentially

2-stage camouflage. makes sense.

1 Like

2re099

16 Likes

They’re trying to release some pressure now. Not a good sign for the shutdown.

Also

5 Likes

I had a professor who said that “ideology” is when you see evidence that goes against your position as evidence for your position.

I imagine being staff for Trump must be like running in a footrace where at any moment the finish line might move to an arbitrary spot across town.

I don’t get it. If they can pay their employees then why the hell are they not being paid in the first place. I think people are probably starting to look for ways around the rules.

8 Likes

And when they actually manage to successfully reach the finish line, Trump gets mad at them, because he’s moved it again, and the fact that they were successful in doing what he previously told them to do makes him look bad now, because he’s adopted a different, contrary position.
I’m constantly amazed that anyone is willing to work in the White House under Trump. It sounds like it’s going to be even more chaotic now (I know!), as apparently Mulvaney has declared that he won’t be a gatekeeper preventing staff from talking to Trump. So now we’re back to the situation where Trump changes his position every 20 minutes, based on whoever last spoke to him.

6 Likes

And most people don’t realise how long that can take.

Due to government departments needing to show that they are a) not wasting taxpayer money on favouritism hires, and b) show they aren’t discriminating, job processes can take months or even more than a year, depending on the position. It’s not like your local grocery store where you can drop off your resume, get a callback from that same location, have a quick interview and get hired on the spot. They’ll be running short-handed for a long time, even if they already have qualified pools. After this, a lot of people won’t want to say “yes” even if they get an offer.

This is seriously going to hurt.

6 Likes

How do you figure that? A little googling tells me that the US airline industry has revenue of a quarter trillion dollars a year, whereas TSA’s entire budget is only 8 billion. Most of that budget is already paid for in the form of airline taxes, anyway.

Also, there’s no reason to add FAA in, because that definitely needs to stay nationalized.

1 Like

How do you figure that the airline industry if forced to take back ownership and the cost of security and traffic control would NOT pass that onto consumers?

You think they would let that just eat into their own existing profit margins?

3 Likes

You claimed that fares would go up 4x, 5x.

My figures were intended to show you that it would be, at most, 3%. With no change in their profit margins.

1 Like

You sir are either willfully ignorant to how greedy corporate America is regarding methods to make more money or purposefully trolling.

Either way this is done. Piss off. I have no desire to discuss something with someone who is that ignorant or purposefully ignoring reality and substituting their own fantasy land “numbers”.

:hushed: ok, whatever.

2 Likes

I’m an environmental engineer in the private sector, but I work with a lot of federal agencies on behalf of my clients. What you are talking about is one of my big fears with all of this. The longer this goes, the more people will find jobs elsewhere, and the more of a brain drain it will be for these agencies. Once they do re-open and start hiring, it’s going to take a huge amount of time for those people to get up to speed on sometimes very complex projects. It’s not just about the money, the real loss is going to be the institutional knowledge.

8 Likes

wouhwouhwouh, @quori, slow down, what are you doing?

3 Likes

I am pointing out that NEVER EVER EVER has any corporation not taken the opportunity to jack prices up claiming they are paying for XYZ to increase their profit margin.

And anyone willfully ignoring that ITTER INDISPUTABLE FACT is either trolling or purposefully acting ignorant.

2 Likes

It’s looking like as the effects of the shutdown worsen exponentially, the number of Senate Republicans who can be convinced to just it end will only increase logarithmically.

3 Likes

Trump is the undisputed world champion of, “I can pay you… but that doesn’t mean I will pay you. Especially I decide that I don’t have to pay you.”

1 Like

3 Likes

6 Likes

And then it takes about six months to realize we’re in a recession, so I figure around August 1st it will be declared as having started 6 months earlier.

2 Likes

I suspect business travel is already dropping off. Anecdotally, I know people canceling travel and more making contingency plans in case it drags on. This is for big meetings, hundreds of airplane seats. Times god knows how many meetings. Adds up.