Sightseeing train station has no exit or entrance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/19/sightseeing-train-station-has.html

8 Likes

I like this. Keeps human traffic and destruction down.

11 Likes

Basically, stop to launch a drone and take selfies from across the water? Otherwise, how’d they get that photo?

4 Likes

If they really want this story to have legs, they need to figure out the Welsh compound word for “Get off the train, check out the beautiful scenery, and get right back on again.”

8 Likes

Um, it’s a stream. They stood on the other bank with a camera.

3 Likes

I like this, but I must point out the underlying threat implied by the lack of benches.

“Look, but do so while standing, and catch the next train. No peaceful naps!”

2 Likes

I wonder what sort of photographs are possible with real cameras. Is it still hazy?

That looks like an electric third rail that you’d land on if you wanted to jump down from the platform, as well. Safety third!

2 Likes

when will they convert the rest of the stations?

1 Like

Neat! Unless you make the mistake of getting off of the last train of the day…

Edit: It occurs to me that, in light of this, we could perhaps re-evaluate China’s “lonely” subway stop that exits out into an empty field with no nearby roads. Perhaps we should see it as serving the same function, not that public transport infrastructure out-stripped growth…

6 Likes

That third rail doesn’t appear to be electrified (no insulation/isolation). This is likely to be a dual gauge track.

6 Likes

Ninjas.

3 Likes

I’ve been on a number of “romantic” (scenic) railways in various parts of Japan. All tend to have one or more isolated scenic stops where you can get off, wander around, take photos, etc., while the train waits for a few minutes. This one just has a bit more infrastructure.

The third rail doesn’t provide electricity, it is there to support freight and passenger trains running on different track gauges (widths). The trains on that line are all diesel powered.

7 Likes

Nobody jumps down from the platform.
It is forbidden.

2 Likes

If only we had that technology here in the USA.

3 Likes

1 Like

Northern England has another contender for this title, even though it’s much less scenic:

British Steel Redcar is a station that has no legal entrance or exit now, as it’s surrounded on all sides by an abandoned steelworks. Oddly, it still gets 50 visitors a year.

3 Likes

1 Like

Google Translate suggests Ewchoddiarytrênedrychwcharygolygfeyddharddadewchynôlymlaeneto

6 Likes

If there are trains that use the same track but then diverge onto differing tracks this station could serve as a simple transfer point.