This train station in Japan has no way for passengers to exit

Originally published at: This train station in Japan has no way for passengers to exit | Boing Boing

19 Likes

I recall seeing a video about this station and it seems pretty delightful :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Déjà vu:

25 Likes

Good place to get some thinking done…

14 Likes

Is there at least a potty?

I’m getting some thinking done right now.

10 Likes

You need to bring your iPotty for that.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I hope it’s fireproof

4 Likes

So, an extreme form of island platform. A milder variety can be found in the San Francisco Bay Area, at BART’s Pittsburgh/Antioch station (PDF), with a cross-platform transfer between modes at a special stop just beyond the main one.

Clip from last link:
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 11.35.18 AM

6 Likes

Déjà Boing.

10 Likes

to take a breather, to sit, enjoy the view,

But a platform with, apparently, nowhere to park one’s bum.
You’d think they’d have provided a bench or two for the ‘sit’ part.

11 Likes

I got it figured out!

2 Likes

I was coming here to say the same thing. Not sure what the train frequency is like on that line, so maybe that’s fine, but if it’s quite a while between trains you could be standing for quite some time (or sitting on the ground like a pleb, I guess).

2 Likes

Seems like a good place to bring your inflatable raft. Get off the train, drift downstream.

1 Like

This is a station that only special “event trains” stop at. I’d have to assume that when the station is open to tourists that they aren’t waiting for hours for the next train.

8 Likes

That makes a lot more sense. It does look like a nice place for a little stop and gawk at the landscape.

4 Likes

Look over there!

2 Likes

Or an office lamp.

3 Likes

I give you Dovey Junction in central Wales. Beautiful view–completely pointless. Exists just before the train line splits, but you should have moved into the correct carriage back in Machynlleth, the previous station, so if you get off here, you’re waiting until the next actual train comes by going the way you want. If you wanted to go directly from Aberystwyth on the south branch to Pwllheli on the north, you could save some mileage, but you’ll be waiting for the same train, and it’s darn cold and exposed and you can get a cup of tea while you wait at Mach.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1043049

11 Likes

It’s always funny when a website posts the same story. This happens in the car blog world too.