This train station in Japan has no way for passengers to exit

I would also appreciate a picnic table, for someone who wants a fresh air venue for their bento.

3 Likes

In Sydney we also have Wondabyne Station - there is no road access to this station, access is either by the boat or walking trails - several km to the nearest housing.

5 Likes

Maybe station announcements are all Nihilist Arby’s?

5 Likes

Would have been nice if they had shown an actual train at the station at some point in the video.

Closest thing to this I can think of in the US that I’ve seen is Secaucus Junction, in northern New Jersey.

It does have exits to the outside world, and there is a roadway there, but the vast majority of people don’t get on or get off there.

As the name suggests, it is the junction; commuter rail lines leading south, north, west and east meet there, including the a short line to Manhattan.

I’ve spent many hours there through the years, waiting for a train to my parent’s home south of the Catskills. (The station was Otisville, the location of a federal prison, and I like to picture the Trump kids going there to visit dad.)

3 Likes

Of course the Harlem Valley line goes right through the middle of Sing Sing.

4 Likes

The stop would not be out of place in a Hayao Miyazaki film. {Plot: A very special train station appears only once every 50 years…)

5 Likes

There is something incredible zen about this.
Pity that there isn´t a bench at this station.

Kinda makes me wonder if it’s popular with the newlywed crowd (spoken with a Tom Waits-type voice).

Bring your own

http://www.zenbench.co.uk

1 Like

Corrour station in the Scottish Highlands has no public road access- the nearest road is ten miles away on foot, or 15 miles away by private road.

The most impressively remote station, though, is Eigerwand in Switzerland. Other than the Jungfraubahn mountain railway, the only access is through a door cut into the north face of the Eiger.

4 Likes

There’s a special platform at Harajuku Station for the exclusive use of the imperial train. It’s a bit weird riding the train past it and never seeing it in use.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

It’s beautiful and I can feel the winds blowing from here.
What a gem. I have a long visit to Wales on my bucket list.

1 Like

I suspect some city councils in tourist-overrun places might like this idea…

You need a break from the train? Please, come, have a seat…

It’s all this company makes: https://sitpack.com/

2 Likes

I can see it now… Come on honey, put on your best kimono, we gonna visit a train station!

Historically thats not that weird. A lot of stations in Europe had platforms exclusivly for royal trains. One of my favorite examples is the “Fürstenbahnbahnhof” (princes station) at the relatively small railway station of Bad Homburg, a spa town north of Frankfurt, Germany. It was a platform and terminal building exclusively for royal visitors and their royal trains. It was been mostly unused for over a century, since the monarchy in Germany ended in 1918, but now it is planned to use it as terminus for an extension of frankfurts metro.

4 Likes

Came hear to post this, but you beat me to it.

I love how, if you want to get off at Wondabyne, it isn’t sufficient to be in the last carriage. You’ve got to be at the back door of the last carriage, because the length of the platform is less than the distance between the front and back doors of the carriage.

(And I guess it also means that anyone waiting at the back door is visible to the guard via the window to the guard’s compartment, though when I did a bushwalk from there we could see the guard was asleep until the train slowed down to stop at Wondabyne. We’d followed the instructions and alerted the guard at the previous stop, so I guess he’d alerted the driver to stop at Wondabyne before falling asleep.)

1 Like