Sigmund the Sea Monster to return

Well, I turned 46 earlier this month … so, yeah. Although admittedly, I more strongly remember the HR PUfnstuf segments from the Kroff Superstars show in the late 70s. I didn’t find Lidsville until much later, but since I never did drugs, I really couldn’t follow it very well.

2 Likes

Maybe the last demographic data showed the stoned teenagers watching reruns or dvds in the 90s?

1 Like

I guess if there can be Bronies, there can be Bromund the Bromonsters. :thinking:

2 Likes

i’ll be turning 52 next month, and Diedre Hall (Electra Woman) still gives me a boner! :stuck_out_tongue:

the Krofft Brothers had a great formula, and? we could use some FUN TV again…

4 Likes

Probably the worst of all the Krofft shows of that era. It lacked the kind of hook that the other, also terrible, shows had. H.R. Pufnstuff took place on “Living Island”, so you living object that are usually inanimate. Also, Pufnstuff was the sheriff, and carried a pistol which he also drew on occasion. You don’t see a lot of armed characters on live-action kids shows. Lidsville was a land of living hats, and featured some of the worst ethnic stereotyping ever. The Bugaloos were, well, bugs. And a rock band, because, you know, the 70s. They’re in the air and everywhere. Phil Collins was nearly one of the Bugaloos. Again, the 70s.

But Sigmund had no real reason to exist. They’re hiding a sea monster which looks more like a walking head of lettuce than anything from the Black Lagoon. Why are they hiding him? Um, because the plot requires it, I guess. And that’s about it. I’m going to ignore the second season, which they shot on the cheap after most of the sets and costumes were destroyed in a fire, and which also featured Rip Taylor,.because, you know, the 70s.

1 Like

Mah tinders!!!

4 Likes

I hadn’t looked at it that way. Good point.

I get the feeling he’d even try to sell us on this new Westworld.

Now seems like a good time to pitch my script for a full length Wonderbug movie.

4 Likes

I’m glad that I waited until I got home to watch that, but I’ll be honest, I still don’t know what I just watched. So, very much like the original Krofft shows indeed.

Thank you?

1 Like

Not sure if you read the article or are just hypothesizing, but it sounds like they’re not using any CGI. They are making the costumes better, with animatronics and waterproofing (which has obvious benefits for a show about sea monsters).

I never saw the original in any form, but I do kinda like the idea of a live-action kids’ show returning to practical effects, with a modern budget and technology. Could be a good influence.

I was kinda hoping Michael Bay would direct.

1 Like

Damnit! Now I’m not gonna get that song outa my head for days :grimacing:

1 Like

[quote=“edoconnor, post:18, topic:80342”]
Well, “watched the crap out of 'em” mainly because back then there were only a handful of television channels, and therefore a very limited amount of kid shows airing at a given timeslot.[/quote]
This pretty much covers it.

I was just a bit too “old” for H.R. Pufnstuff when it came out, but I watched it anyway. All three networks had their Saturday morning lineups, but you had to choose to watch just one, and I guess HRP was the least silly of what was running. Or maybe it was up against the eternally rerun Bug Bunny / Road Runner Hour, or the Pink Panther Show. Same cartoons over and over got tiresome.

3 Likes

You’re welcome…I think. Hey, you wanna see something really scary?

1 Like

@Israel_B That opening theme song seems to have no effect on me. I don’t even remember it. What I remember though is the closing song:

“Now Siiiiiigmund the seeeeamonster and Johnny and Scott are friends, and something, something,something, da-dum da-dum da-dum”

@stefanjones Loved Pufnstuff and Land of the Lost, hated Bugaloos.

Ah yes, speaking of remakes and all!

1 Like

I was more of a skyhawks fan, myself… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhawks

Yeah, I was utterly confounded at that math too. For a moment there I thought I’d gotten my own age wrong by ten years too many! Woo hoo! … awwww nuts.

1 Like

?!

I watched it as a wee lad, but didn’t see it again for 40 years, until a I tried watching an episode on YouTube a couple years ago.

It was profoundly silly. Old Bugs Bunny or Pink Panther cartoons would be the height of sly sophistication by comparison.

But yeah, the alternatives were, in retrospect, fairly slim pickins, although at the time, Saturday morning seemed like a wealth of entertainment. Every September, when TV Guide’s Fall Preview issue came out, my sister and I would go through the Saturday morning page with colored pencils, negotiating who got to pick what to watch by each half hour. “You can watch Land of the Lost at 8:00 if I get to watch Josie and the Pussycats at 8:30.” And we’d more-or-less stick to that negotiated schedule for the whole season, since we only had the one color TV. (The 13" black-and-white Hitachi in my parents’ bedroom was only used to watch game shows when we had to stay home sick from school.)

And around 11:00, when the cartoons ended and American Bandstand came on, we’d go outside to play, having lost all interest in TV until Sunday morning, when Tom Hatten’s Popeye Show came on.

8 Likes