Trippy TV returns with The Sid & Marty Krofft Channel

Originally published at: Trippy TV returns with The Sid & Marty Krofft Channel | Boing Boing

6 Likes

For people of a certain age, Sid and Marty Krofft’s shows are a wonderful blast from the past. I personally never understood the appeal, although maybe a course of psychedelics would help.

8 Likes

Not a psychedelic per-se but there is the oft theorized (and a bit too obvious) connection between H.R.Pufnstuf and marijuana (at least).

1. wikipedia
  2. groovyhistory
  3. from Marty Krofft himself
  4. etc

ey, it was the age of Aquarius (h.r. == “hand rolled”? nahh)

5 Likes

Yay!

Square Dance Contradance GIF by MANGOTEETH

5 Likes

… this seems like the kind of thing they would normally just license to Amazon or Pluto rather than starting from scratch with their own app :confused:

3 Likes

I can’t find any info on whether this “channel” will cost money to subscribe or if it’s advertising supported. Seems like the kind of thing that should be in the article.

I don’t recall watching any of the more “trippy” offerings but Land of the Lost was decent quality kids science fiction.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve always thought that the late actor Malachi Throne should have gotten some kind of award for doing guest stints on so many sci-fi type shows of the era, he even managed to appear in Electra Woman and Dyna Girl. Indeed, he might have been the most famous actor ever on that show, which tells you something about it…

4 Likes

I was a fan of H.R. Pufnstuf , The Bugaloos , Lidsville , Sigmund and the Sea Monsters and Land of the Lost of course this was from back in the time when you could only see kid themed stuff on Saturday Mornings.

3 Likes

And had some serious screenwriting talent – scripts for Land of the Lost were written by serious names in SF such as Larry Niven, David Gerrold, D.C. Fontana, and Theodore Sturgeon. It was way better (for at least the first two seasons) than you’d expect for an SF show aimed at children.

3 Likes

Same. And the appeal, @MadLibrarian, was that it was silly, absurd, and not like anything else on television. My parents didn’t like any of those shows, which was a bonus point.

3 Likes

Yeah rewatching as an adult I was impressed that some network executive didn’t kill it for thinking it would go over kids’ heads.

3 Likes

I barely recall Lidsville - I may’ve been too little. I do remember the other shows mentioned herein, and also Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

Disappointed that Jack Wild was not ID’d in that photo. He wasn’t just an SMK actor, he played The Artful Dodger in Oliver! (the musical) and came to a sad end, I’m afraid.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.