This "Land of the Lost" retrospective features a fantastic interview

Originally published at: This "Land of the Lost" retrospective features a fantastic interview | Boing Boing

7 Likes

One of my favorites! Also a show which deserves an actually good reboot, rather than the muck it actually got.

10 Likes

Oh, man, this has REALLY pushed my buttons. LotL was my first exposure to real science fiction, and I’m kind of obsessed with it to this day. Everything from the Krofft aesthetic to the dreamlike VFX and sound design to the sophisticated ideas presented in a kid-accessible way made this show a formative experience. I went to the Trek convention in '17 specifically because Eure and Coleman were making an appearance on the show floor, and found them to be just as wonderful as I’d hoped (“don’t meet your heroes” definitely didn’t apply!)

God I love this show.

13 Likes

My sister named her kids Marshall, Will and Sarah… So close!

12 Likes

So at some point, later on Saturdays, they re-run this show in the 80s, and I am glad they did because I thought it was fucking awesome.

5 Likes

I remember it in syndication in the 80’s for the afterschool time-slots with other Krofft shows.

4 Likes

Yes! I met them a couple of years ago at Dragon Con, and they are just a joy. Marty Krofft was at DC this year, and a treat to hear talk.

Yuh-Huh!

8 Likes

Sleestak rule. that is all.

9 Likes

At first, I blew it off as kids programming, but then I noticed stuff like the pylons and matrix tables, hang on…

A number of well-respected writers in the science-fiction field contributed scripts to the series (mostly in the first and second seasons), including Larry Niven,[10] Theodore Sturgeon,[10][11] Ben Bova,[10] and Norman Spinrad, and a number of people involved with Star Trek, such as D.C. Fontana,[10] Walter Koenig,[10][12][13] and David Gerrold.[10] Gerrold, Niven, and Fontana also contributed commentaries to the DVD of the first season.[6]

15 Likes

Yeah, the first two seasons were sci-fi with a serious pedigree. The third, not so much (for reasons) but it has its own charms.

4 Likes

I never really got to see much of the third season, because our local television station was kind of crap at choosing children’s programming.

I guess I’m disappointed to find out they never really got to go home.

3 Likes

That tagger was everywhere when I was young.

2 Likes

Not sure if authentic, but we had a Chaka tag on the concrete wall of the flood control canal in Wichita, KS.

1 Like

I was in the right place for sure.

2 Likes

The Kroffts totally warped me as a kid (I’m old enough to have seen Puffenstuff and the Bugaloos on the first airing). I remember watching Land of the Lost, but I don’t remember the third season at all. Probably had other things to do by then.

I recommend this for Krofft fans:

https://bookshop.org/p/books/sid-and-marty-krofft-a-critical-study-of-saturday-morning-children-s-television-1969-1993-hal-erickson/11081291?ean=9780786430932

9 Likes

When the walls fell?

2 Likes

I’m sick of this beeswax
I’m sick of these second-story sleestaks
Breathing on my dice
Giving me back rubs

When I’m deep in concentration
You start getting no conversatin’
Sleestak

What’s a sleestak?
That’s your heart attack
Towel rack
Fallback

You got no doctors
All your doctors have gone home
What’s a sleestak?
What’s a sleestak?

– “Cloisonné” by They Might Be Giants

10 Likes

No discussion of Sid and Marty Krofft is complete without their great contribution to Intellectual Property Law textbooks

Their famous lawsuit against McDonalds for copyright infringement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_%26_Marty_Krofft_Television_Productions_Inc._v._McDonald's_Corp.

4 Likes

I recently came across an episode of American Pickers which visited the sons of Gene Warren, which included some of the models used for Land of the Lost – they are all rotting as the foam dries up with only the armatures remaining.

I don’t think the series came to the UK, at least I am unaware of it, but H.R. Puffenstuff was a sister’s favourite for a while.

3 Likes

The writing on Land of the Lost was significantly better than on most Saturday morning fare.

5 Likes