When Marshall, Will and Holly met Enik

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/when-marshall-will-and-holly-met-enik.html

2 Likes

Stuck in the past with his dimwitted ancestors, stripped from a marvelous future where science and technology could solve all his problems

Going from the 1990s to the 2010s, I can relate.

Also, that Rick Marshall sure is comfortable slapping his son around.

6 Likes

I loved that character! I loved the Sleestaks in general.

I didn’t realize this show was so old. They must have syndicated on Saturday mornings for me.

2 Likes

My favorite Saturday morning show in 1974!
Enik was so frustrating because he just could never help or really answer questions.
I always wanted to see them explore the Lost City better. And it looked all wrong. If it was a CITY with huge steps and pillars at the entrance, why would it be just a mess of twisty little passages inside?
Much like Star Trek, they were always finding amazing artifacts but then never using them again.

5 Likes

Huge fan. Game changer when it aired. I felt every episode was written just for me. This particular one was written by Walter (Chekhov) Koenig.

4 Likes

The Sleestaks were the descendents of Enik. He was the one from the past. They are his idiot children.

7 Likes

Look, that kid yelled his way from one dangerous idea to another. Ain’t got no time for gentle persuasion in The Land of the Lost.

5 Likes

I had forgotten how slow Sleestaks moved around. But oh, that delicious hissing.

3 Likes

As a kid I found that show alternately confusing, boring, and scary, but now I’m fascinated by it. Anyone know if it’s available to stream anywhere?

4 Likes

Came here to mention that. Enik was very upset about the concept of a “Lost City”.

Also, that episode was written by Walter Koenig! (Chekhov in the original Star Trek series)

2 Likes

He doesn’t find that out until later in the series. Weirdly, it is one of the details I distinctly remember. Enik is crushed when he figures it out.

1 Like

Sleestacks were cool and I thought Chaka really grew into the role by 2009.

UW9fzT

3 Likes

Sadly, there does not seem to be any Sleestak AMSR compilations available.

1 Like

Look at the size of these units!
“Guys! I have a gig as a Sleestak if I can get my BMI to 10.2!”

This also explains much.

5 Likes

Haha, thank you for this. I never saw this orginal series but have always loved the movie from 2009 featuring Will and Danny.

2 Likes

I watched the original series in reruns as a kid in the mid-80s; it was like “The Brady Bunch” but weird and far more watchable, if that makes any sense. I watched for awhile, waiting for the finale episode, only to have the truth that it was cancelled before they got home dawn on me as a teenager.

TL;DNR - You sold my faith in TV up the river, Kroffts!

2 Likes

One of the first shows I remember liking as a kid and one of the rare ones that held up to adult viewing decades later. Mixed the usual earnest lessons with mind expanding science fiction concepts as well as just the right dash of WTF.

The Sleestaks terrified me when I was a 4 year old kid. There was also one episode which for whatever reason I found fascinating: there was a kind of glass floor in the middle of the jungle, and beneath it was this pulsating heart, and people and things would fall through the floor and orbit around the heart and the heart would zap them with some kind of energy beam. I forget how they got out of that one, but I love the fact the writers had created a show where they could just introduce random shit like that.

Having watched every single episode of LOST including the final episode, I can say you just may have dodged a bullet there.

4 Likes

I can’t believe they never taught us about Sleestaks when we learned about dinosaurs in grade school.

5 Likes

Sleestaks and Enik were the BEST. they were the reason i watched the show at all, i think. not even Grumpy was good enough all by himself. Altrusians, huh? that’s a good bit of trivia – i always thought that “Sleestak” was the name of the race. i also loved their pathetic little crossbows.

2 Likes