Signs directing public access to Malibu beaches only last eight days

Originally published at: Signs directing public access to Malibu beaches only last eight days | Boing Boing

4 Likes

we all know we aren’t welcome in their nice, quiet little beach community.

Stay out of Malibu, Poors!

16 Likes

Well they’re all listed on Google Maps, so not entirely secret.

17 Likes

Link to a handy app: ‎Our Malibu Beaches on the App Store

Seems like once the data gets into Google Maps, Waze or whatever signs won’t be needed at all.

16 Likes

You used to live up in Stinson Beach, right? Didn’t the folks in Bolinas steal the sign so often that CalTrans gave up?

2 Likes

“public” - “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

2 Likes

Fucking fascists!

4 Likes

I’m sure that the intensity of the regulatory scrutiny is just evidence of Malibu’s impeccable commitment to good governance and regulatory compliance; nothing to so see here, no sir; but I still have to wonder why the MCRA would have failed to dot the 'i’s and cross the 't’s, especially when it probably wasn’t news to them that the locals would be resentful.

14 Likes

Sorry, just because your signs are a public good doesn’t mean you get to install them in an unsafe way. Breakaway poles are mandatory. I’ve seen enough signs creamed over the years that I agree with this law.

3 Likes

The test of just how genuine these safety concerns are will be how long the next round of signage lasts (assuming they are constructed in accordance with relevant laws).

7 Likes

I’d typically roll my eyes at the safety concerns, but these are winding roads that people drive like absolute maniacs down (when traffic allows).

4 Likes

Should be pretty easy to install a sign that meets the specs. I wonder how long it will last?

3 Likes

Signposts in pedestrian areas should NOT be breakaway. In a crash the post becomes a deadly projectile.

Breakaway posts simply prioritize the safety of inattentive/drunk/malicious car drivers over anyone not in a car.

6 Likes

Another good test will be finding out how many other existing signs put up by the city fail to comply with the same safety regulation. I suspect that the zeal to enforce this breakaway requirement is a very recently discovered one.

15 Likes

You’re not suggesting that some local resident should get a beaten up old wreck or two and try driving into some local Malibu signs, are you? :wink:

4 Likes

It’s not all that hard to do, apparently. Slightly wondering if it was staged for effect.

3 Likes

So all those illegal “NO BEACH ACCESS” signs were up for decades because they… conformed to highway safety standards???

8 Likes

[citation needed]

“Breakaway” means the pole folds over when hit instead of trying to resist the impact of the car. There are no “projectiles” involved. These signs get hit all the time in Los Angeles. I witnessed it more than once and it’s a low drama affair for the sign.

The other advantage is that the signs are socketed in the pavement in a larger tube and bolted in place. When the sign is hit, a city worker can replace it in minutes so the area is not without signage for long. You can’t do that with a heavy pole set in concrete.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.