"Silly" not "crazy": RL Stine editing Goosebumps books to be more sensitive and inclusive

Originally published at: "Silly" not "crazy": RL Stine editing Goosebumps books to be more sensitive and inclusive | Boing Boing

1 Like

Have these edited re-issues been pre-banned by DeSantis yet?

13 Likes

It is great that Stine has survived long enough to see that his stories are worth saving for another generation.

13 Likes

Plot twist: Actually, he didn’t! Bwahahaha! (cue spooky music as skeletal fingers tap away at keyboard)

9 Likes

4 Likes

Presumably he saw what was done to the Dahl books and realized he better not leave it to his heirs to do that to him.

7 Likes

26 Likes

Everything I have ever heard or seen about him seems to indicate that he’s a pretty great guy, with a great sense of humor about himself and his success. This very much seems to support that!

5 Likes

Wait until Ron finds what Walt Whitman did to his early works!

No, wait, he doesn’t actually give a fuck about literature.

ETA
I for one insist that everyone read He do the police in different voices as TS Eliot originally intended rather than that woke nonsense The Waste Land in some sexually deviant magazine for “artists”.

4 Likes

on MTV videos.

“Dad? What’s an MTV video??”

4 Likes

To this day I have never read a Goosebumps story. It was Ray Bradbury stuff when I was a kid. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Hell, I was too old for Goosebumps back when Stine started writing them, so that’s no surprise.

Personally, I read most of Stine’s YA stuff, along with a lot of Lois Duncan and Christopher Pike, before moving on to Stephen King and Clive Barker.

Bradbury’s writing style itself was too stiff for me to get into as a teen, although I am well aware that he’s written a huge portion of stories which are iconic in our culture, like Something Wicked This Way Comes, for instance.

Also I loved the series *Ray Bradbury Presents* when it aired briefly.

5 Likes

There was other stuff, too, but not the kind of thing that was even YA-oriented, simply because some kids always managed to smuggle their parents’ books onto the school playground. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Oh, dude; I read whatever I could get my hands on back then, which includes the stuff that was not hardly age appropriate… like stuff by Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim, not to mention Ordeal (which was harrowing.)

4 Likes

I don’t know who the author was, but I remember a novel that began with a kid murdering his parents during an interlude…and then there was Blume’s Wifey (not scary, but definitely not age appropriate).

2 Likes

Either this was a hoax, or if these edits are going through he insists he was unaware and they’re not personally authorized by him: https://twitter.com/RL_Stine/status/1632817346803904513?s=20

3 Likes

Or for those not wanting to go to Twitter, there’s an update at ComicBook (the site Pesco linked to)

2 Likes

I mean, just wait til DeSantis finds out about Walt Whitman, honestly.

1 Like

Ah, the 80s and 90s, when no one monitored what we were reading, they were just glad we were reading. The avid readers were probably exposed to more traumatizing shit than anything on TV outside of pay per view.

1 Like