Simple footplate lets shoppers open fridges without touching them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/simple-footplate-lets-shoppers.html

2 Likes

[Mike Pence grabs door handle, sticks head inside, checks expiry dates, sneezes.]

32 Likes

We’ve had variations on this same idea here in the states for years. I commonly see (saw?) them in restaurants, bars and hotels. They’re carried by big-box home center stores and many other places.

I’m not sure where the originated, but this is not some novel Japanese invention.

2 Likes

In other news, a man in Hungary used his foot to close a car door while holding several bags of groceries. His lawyers are currently exploring franchise possibilities.

6 Likes

I feel like this could be a trip hazard as is. Maybe one with a light spring that you could flip down with your foot and it would retract slowly when you’re done. ALSO, separate rant, but they should add pedals to all sinks in addition to hand sensors. It could be electronic and tied to the same system that controls the IR sensor. I just hate waving hands in front of the sink sort of hoping that it will actually turn on.

4 Likes

A simple but ingenious invention from Japan has rona written all over it, but they should leave them there permanently.

You must really hate the person who has to mop the aisles every night.

10 Likes

My one data point can’t exceed anecdotal status, but I’ve lived on both coasts and several spots around the middle of the country, and I have never seen this anywhere.

2 Likes

Not unusual to see them on a restaurant’s bathroom door in the Midwest.

4 Likes

I have not seen them in supermarkets, restaurants, or any kind of retail. I have seen a similar “foot handle” on bathrooms at my employer though. At some point I looked them up on Home Depot and found they cost something like $40 which seems like a lot for a pre-bent hunk of metal, but they are a pretty heavy duty hunk of metal, so maybe not entirely unreasonable?

Not at Home Depot right now, but a little google search shows this more or less identical product from some other hardware store.

4 Likes

Not in California, sadly! I despise hot-air hand dryers at the best of times, but when the bathroom door ALSO opens inward… GAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

5 Likes

Shouldn’t be a problem - cut the lower edge of the foot plate off a couple inches above floor level. Low enough so your foot can get purchase, high enough not to snag the mop - no problem.
I can definitely see blundering into it with your ankle, though…

3 Likes

Sinks at surgical suites use foot or knee operated paddles so the surgical staff don’t touch the taps after washing.

7 Likes

That touches on (sorry) how to keep people from touching the freezer items that they do not wish to purchase.

1 Like

The bummer in the ones I’m familiar with or have used is that they are a mechanical linkage thus not super easy to add to an existing faucet.

Though I really like them and want a set in my small bathroom for after yardwork

3 Likes

Also, sprung doors are better - a slight push with an elbow anywhere on the door and it springs open, and when pushed close it stays shut with a magnet. Less of a trip hazard.

5 Likes

Trip Hazard! Not the Hero we want; but the Hero we deserve!

6 Likes

Hands are over rated – this woman and thousands of others seem to not need them.

1 Like

Yeah! And some mid-century elementary schools I’ve seen online. I know a surgeon and we just talked about that and it’s probably what prompted my comment. My only thought for a public restroom is is couldn’t be the only method for people who can’t stand / use pedals and for germ-free use it would have to be IR activated at the tap still.

2 Likes

When I lived in San Diego I was always amused by a shopping center known as the “Hazard Center”. Seemed dangerous! But it was actually named after its developer, whose family name was Hazard.

3 Likes

Time to move to Minneapolis. Apparently the toeopener was invented here by a U of MN student (or grad maybe) back in 2011 which probably had an impact on their being (apparently) more common here. Can’t comment on if it was a novel idea at the time or not. If you search for the toeopener on amazon a few other designs will pop up too.

3 Likes